Brush Guard For Terc?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Hey all,

I like the pic section, will send some pics of my thing soon.

The first pic (which I have seen before online) has a brush guard on the front, and I LIKE IT! Now, assuming that even if they were made for this application, they are not anymore, does anyone know if there is any vehicle that has one produced for it that would be either a easy bolt on, or with slight modification? I was looking at one for a outback (the type that goes across the entire front of the car) and then welding custom mounts on it, but it would be nice to find a simpler solution due to not having the equipment to make the brackets in close proximity.

Also, in the same vein, what about a light bar for the top? Could be a viable replacement solution, although the front guard is much meaner looking
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The brush guard was a dealer option. One could be made pretty easily.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

There is a brush guard at the top of this page...is this the factory made guard?

My offroad experiences say that the best bet would be one that starts at the very end of the bumper in order to protect the corner light...a good hit from a solid branch on that light means it's history.

Could try running it up and then across the front above the lights? Problem with bringing it up from the ends is that it would partially cover the corner light visually.

What's underneath the bumper plastic? Could 3-4 holes be drilled & tappped to hold one on top the bumper?

Looks like the one in the picture fastens below on the frame?

I'm talking BRUSH guard...not LOG guard......

Who was it that was going to make one?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The one at the top isn't factory at least not in North America. The metal part of the bumper is actually a metal beam much thinner than the bumper itself. The rest of it is just foam under there. If you drilled the back of the front bumper and used two mounts on either side, that would be strong enough. The trailer hitch is mounted that way and it can take 1500 pounds.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I was thinking of modding/building one to bolt on to the towing-hook-thingies on the frame itself. And yes, I do believe that one that entends to cover the lights would be ideal and good looking to boot.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Looks like the one in the picture fastens below on the frame?

I'm talking BRUSH guard...not LOG guard......

Who was it that was going to make one?

That was me, I still want to do it.
Similar to the factory guard, nothing overkill.

John
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I was looking at a Suburu Legacy or Forester today and its about the same size as our Tercels,so it stands to reason that there brush-gaurd(if made) might fit our Tercels. <_<
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>