Fuel door question

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Rumrumm
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 2WD wagon, mostly original, owned since new.

Fuel door question

Post by Rumrumm »

Quick question for you Tercel wagon guru's concerning the gas filler door... My '87 2WD has it on the driver's side, but I just spotted another wagon with the filler door on the passenger side. Was the side of the wagon with the gas filler door an indicator of the year model, or if a wagon is 2WD or 4WD?
Thanks for the hard-to-find facts!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Fuel door question

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The 2WD door is on the left and the 4WD door is on the right. They have different tanks due to different luggage floors and rear suspension pieces. The 2WD also has a luggage area about 10% larger, again due to less intrusive suspension bits. I thought your tank had a slightly larger capacity, but all of the Gen II tanks held the same 13.2 gallons.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Rumrumm
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 2WD wagon, mostly original, owned since new.

Re: Fuel door question

Post by Rumrumm »

THANKS for the info! Now I know for sure that sweet pale-yellow wagon I've spotted parked behind a house for the last several months is a 4WD, even without being close enough to see the emblems. Wish me luck when Uncle Sam's refund check arrives...