Supercharged MR2 Motor into a '85 SR5 AWD Tercel?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Godspeed Oakland
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 AWD 3 Speed Automatic

Supercharged MR2 Motor into a '85 SR5 AWD Tercel?

Post by Godspeed Oakland »

Can I drop a 4FZE MR2 supercharger engine into my car, and keeping the AWD setup I already have? That would be cool! I know I would have to machine the flywheel and add a stand alone EFI system. Is this swap the same otherwise as any 4AGE swap?

Also, Which tranny can I use in this application to maximize power output and still keep AWD?

Thanks!
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: Supercharged MR2 Motor into a '85 SR5 AWD Tercel?

Post by 4wdchico »

Are you talking about a 4AGZE supercharged engine as found in the USDM '88 & '89 first gen MR2's?

If so, it is an even better way of scattering a t4wd 6 speed manual trans than the turbo silvertop you were talking about swapping in before. The 4agze would be best served by keeping it's stock ECU as the ECU switches the supercharger on/off as conditions dictate. No, the supercharger cannot be run all the time as it will fail quickly if this is done.

A mild build on a 4ac, stock 4age bluetop or stock 4AFE swap would be about as much as you could hope for without risking total manual tranny failure.

It looks like you are looking at making a T4wd something that it is not capable of being without replacing the entire drive system with something more beefy. I'm not sure if the front diff in a good working t4wd auto tranny would take the torque of a stock 4agze, those things pull hard...

BTW: the t4wd is not AWD, since it has no center diff, it is 4wd on low traction surfaces only.

The higher power output you are seeking could be done somewhat more simply by swapping in a complete ae86 Corolla 5 speed manual drive line behind the hopped up 4ag(z?) of your choice and making the car rear wheel drive. It might be a lot of fun, RWD and the engine would sit a bunch lower, lowering the CG.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

for a more simple answer, yes it can be done. I think it might be a tight fit (lots of special routing for the various components). Best trans/drive train might be the 85 and newer 4.11:1 final drive front and rear diff. Though as pointed out, it would be pretty hard on the trans to run that much power through it. You could find either the Corrolla GTS rear axle or the Corolla All-trac rear axles, put in 4.11:1 ring and pinion, for a larger differential and beefier rear housing (all of it should bolt up to the stock Tercel mounting points with minimal alterations).

As for the trans taking that much power: maybe, it would be risky. IT would be risky to stomp on it hard. You can have all the hard parts in the trans heat treated to make it stronger. Costly but there is no other trans you can make work unless you make the engine a transvers installation and use the much beefier All-trac 4wd trans. Major project to accomplish that swap.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

The stock USDM 4agze from the MR2 was rated at 140 pound/feet. Over 100 pound/feet is risky for the t4wd 6 speed manual trans.

You could have the case and all the internal tranny parts cryo-treated to reduce the failure risk associated with such a significant bump in torque.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

What is your goal with this car? You want a street car or race car? As mentionned, if you want a real stomper, you might want to loose 4wd and go RWD then a lot can be done on the cheap side for huge power. How about a drift wagon? For street driving the 4wd is good or ice racing as the surface don't grip that much, easier on trans! That's kind why I'll be having a RWD trans to swap in for the summer!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
Godspeed Oakland

I got the SR5 for $400 and the motor and tranny are shot. I just wanted to swap in the highest performing engine I can. I have bought a 6-speed tranny and a 160hp Silvertop motor from JDM. I planned to rebuild the tranny and go through the motor; add some good head work, cam, engine kit, headers... but before I do, I thought it would be cool to see if the Supercharged MR2 motor would go in the same and if there was a better tranny for my application while still keeping my 4WD. I live in Santa Fe and need a 4WD vehicle to get around in the winter, which is why I bought her in the first place. I am new to the Toyota scene and just want to optimize my build.

Thanks for all the help!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sounds like you will have a lot more than 160 hp by the time you are done. I doubt if any of the drive train will handle that much power, you will be blowing cv joint, u-joints, front and rear diffs, rear axles, and likely grenade the trans gear cluster.

If you are going to that much trouble with the engine rebuild and swap, I would consider finding a wrecked Camary all-trac (with the 5 lug wheels) and than swap the whole drive train and suspension into the Tercel. it will handle the hp no problem, and give you heavier brakes, wheels and other components. There will be a lot of cutting and welding of mounts and such, but you should be able to make it all fit. Another option might be the Rav4 drive train, but the older MR2 engine may not bolt up to the bell housing, might have to go with a newer engine too.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

I'm pretty sure there's a way to make an adapter plate to fit the rav4 trans and space the throwout bearing, never seen the trans though! I know it can be done with the w series trans to bolt the t50 bellhousing! Funny that you mention the camry, cause I went to the wrecker today to look at that actual camry all trac for the steering knuckle if it would fit my car, way beefier and big brakes too. Looks like it might be a fit to the ball joints and strut! But that wrecker is kind of a rip-off wanted 200$ for the set, too much for something that just may look like. Pik-n-pull 80$ but 1 1/2 hour drive! I'll go one of these days! Right now I'm lookin at mating a tremec t5 to the t50 bellhousing and using the t5 clutch disc into the 4age clutch assembly which kinda fit, might have a weird wear! But I know what you mean by wanting the 4wd for winter as I'm gonna do the same. RWD summer FUN time, 4WD winter FUN time as well! But only planning to use N/A carbed blue top 4age, with the time I might gonna bring it to around 180hp high compression!
Maybe celica gt-four?

For other options there is outside the box aswell, I mean other than toyota! The 4.11 ratio is found pretty much every where for the rear diff: - Volvo 1030/1031 diff (dana30 lsd)http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh11 ... o_dana.htm I know a toyota rally team that uses, also claim way stonger. Fitted on an 85 corolla
- Lada niva 4x4 also use that ratio with manual locking mechanism(google turbonutter something shouild come up, I got pdf files if you want to view ask!) And maybe the whole drivetrain could be use with an adapter plate(front/rear diff both locks manually at any speed with a lever, 4x4 trans and transfer case, 4 pistons brake caliper in front and the rear as some funky rotor/drum combo) indestructible, I try to kill one, couldn't! That's the vehicle I should of kept for my project! Instead kept a chevy s15!
-so chevy/gmc also, the s10/15 ones are about a 1/2 inch wider so the wheels fits perfectly in wheel well(tested) some come with lsd's, elctronic lockers are available! Rear disc brake avaiilable, 14 inch plenty of cheap used mags and parts for diff are abundant in wreckers and dirt cheap!mainly why I chose! If I can manage the plate for the tremec T5 than a transfer case is available and that trans can take power!

The Big Big problem would be the extensive work to be done to accomplish some like that, not impossible but tough! To fit the front diff with all the steering component would just be hell to fabricate and not much room to play with! Could be hell'a fun aswell or hell'a ridiculous! The other reason why the RWD for the summer! Scream some tires!

Subaru drivetrain = independent suspension??? Dunno nothing not a fan of subarust

Well Good LUCK!!!

I don't know where I get my ideas from sometime!

Labine R.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

i would not mind a t4wd body dropped onto a late '90's 'yota 4x4 truck chassis with the 2.7L 4 cyl. and a 5 speed trans. If it was a quality job where care was taken to get the body as low on the truck chassis as possible it could be a sweet setup.

Those 'yota 4x4's will pull as much as 24-26 mpg highway and might do even a bit better with a t4wd body swap.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member

Post by Lil Beast »

Well if you can afford it, anything is possible! About 12 years ago a friend of mine dropped a bmw 320i body on a 4runner frame! He had a blast, when all across the states doin mud racing until he blew is engine! Still has the car I believe for future use!

Labine R.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Subaru drive train would not work at all, they put the engine entirely in front of the trans/front axle. the overhang is much larger, even with the opposed four configuration. I am not keen on the Subarus either, the early ones were not very durable. A neighbor had one and had to have the suspension repair driving on our gravel roads, he replaced it with a honda CRV.
Godspeed Oakland

Sounds like I will just drop the rebuilt stock 6speed in her, beefed up as much as I can and use the Silvertop as is. It will jump my HP 100 over stock. That will be enough to greatly improve the stock sluggish performance of the stock 58 hp motor. That is all I really wanted in the first place; a reliable Toyota with a little more punch than the 3A she came with. The rebuilt motor and tranny will make her like new and have twice the power, and with the stand alone EFI, she will adapt to altitude, and everything else, like a new car.
Thank you all for all your help!
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member

Post by Lil Beast »

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me! Than you can work you way up as needed! A rebuild trans sounds like it should hold the 160hp or so, maybe not burnouts, but will get you around pretty good, once a bit of speed achieve it gets easier on trans than you can step on it a little, I figure! I guess will all gonna see sometime soon!

Good luck!

Labine R.
Godspeed Oakland

So I have the Silvertop ready to go, and instead of making a custom flywheel to make the new engine with the new 6-speed tranny, I am just gonna bolt it up to the rebuilt stock 3-speed automatic tranny. This combo should fit together without the need of a modified flywheel. Is this True? I will use a stand alone AEM or Mega-Squirt F/I system to run the new Silvertop. Should be a huge improvement over the stock 58HP 3A Carbed engine. I was told the 4AE Silvertop would bolt up to the stock '85 Automatic. Does this sound viable? If not I'll just rebuild the stock 3A Engine & Tranny with Webers and be happy. Thanks!
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

Yes any A series 'yota motor will bolt up to the t4wd auto or manual trans. The high performance twin cam Ag series motors have 8 bolts on the end of the crank for the flywheel or torque plate of an automatic to bolt to. It is also a nice forged crank where the single cam A motors & low performance twin cam cranks are cast.

The single cam A series motors and low performance twin cam engines (5AFE & 7AFE) will have the 6 bolt pattern.
So you would have to mod the torque plate to the 8 bolt pattern to make the silvertop work.