Possible T4wd mod for the bush wacker, ice racer in YOU!!!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Possible T4wd mod for the bush wacker, ice racer in YOU!!!

Post by Lil Beast »

And the enthusiast as well!!
Well I end up writing this cause I was planning using a gmc s15 rear diff! It's goes as is :
- wrecking yards are filled up with so real cheap replacement parts
- comes with many ratio including 4.1 which is the one you want!
- comes with LSD's is some model
- lots of performance part affordable (was going for e-locker)
- tracking is 1430mm approx. so roughly 1/2 inch wider which would not hurt and fit without mod to fender
- lots of cheap 14" mag wheel
- can be fit simply by relinking a bit of thought will be needed! And as custom shaft
-possible rear disk brake upgrade

I think that's it but a came with a bad news that no electronic devices in the drivetrain are allowed in the rules for rallying. That's unfortunate I thought I had something goin on, got most important parts. Diff, some driveshafts,center bearings, misc pieces of steel for making a tri-link suspension sytem with traction bar, etc

Any way had to think again and thought of one of my old bush wacking vehicle which was a 84 Lada Niva great for the bush couldn't brake it anyway, I mean indestructible. With an interesting feature mechanical locking diff that you could apply at any speed. There was a 3rd lever in the cab. So went and dig in box and found the mech book of it for the dimension of the tracking and is. 1400 mm so would fit. And they come with ratio of : 3.9 , 4.1 and 4.3
How interesting! And it's a linkage suspension so probably less fitting than s15 one's.
Where to find will probably be a task! The less ironic part with this I had to scrap it last summer, hopefully he didn't crush yet. Had everything even spare diff. If I would of been thinking about it when it happen grrRRRrrr.
My landlord was freakin out too much project at once chose to keep that s_ck 15!

Both mod are to be considered I think. Could still go with a stock LSD from s15 but I don't know how it will react to a vehicle half the weight it was met for, could be not street friendly! Or not working when you really want it. Which there no point, I'd like it more fully controllable. All or nothing!
And I kind of dig the 3rd lever that will make some talk!

By the way I still got to do a bit of research for the lada diff some info missing like wheel bolt pattern cause the stock wheel is 15" kind of big, all the wheel got to match size wise. Maybe the front disc of niva could be transfered or newer models might have aswell I might forget something but still looking!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.