Roof Rack

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
reeder123
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd sr5

Roof Rack

Post by reeder123 »

Hey guys, I tried my best to find info on this in a search, but didn't find much. I'm looking to get an after market roof rack to throw on top of Rodney (the kind that just clamps onto the gutter?) Just wondering if anyone here uses/used that kind of rack and what kind of rack worked and how well it worked ect. Thanks!

P.S. Quick update on Rodney and I, we moved from Salt Lake down to St. George (very southwest corner of UT) I wasn't sure rod was going to make it with the insane summer heat, but he seems to be handling it pretty well and the worst is almost over.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Roof Rack

Post by xirdneh »

i have a homemade gutter clamp type, lightweight roof rack
use it quite a bit to haul lumber, rowboats and ladders
they lie on the floor in front of the back seat along with some rope so they are always handy
i used 1/16 thick sheet metal and 1 x 1 x .06 sq steel tube
had to get someone with a sheetmetal brake to bend a few parts (probably could have done it in a vise)
required a little welding too
when i can get to a high speed internet conn i will post the pictures
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Any of the older rain gutter clamp type racks will work, I find them all the time at garage sales or 2nd and stores, swap meets, etc. None of the new cars can use these older style mounts so you can get them cheap. I recent came across a very expensive Yakima rack with all kinds of accessories, and the key for the locks, at a garage sale for $20, it was in new condition. IT had the rain gutter clamp mounts.

You have to make sure it will adjust down to the width of the Tercel rain gutters, or be prepared to do some cutting and altering on the rack.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I'll vouch for the raingutter mount type. I had a bike roof rack for the '83 way back when and carried up to four bikes on it - probably only about 80-90 lbs, though.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I've used Quick-N-Easy and Yakima roof racks. Both are good. The Quick racks are light weight and probably have less of a steal factor than the yakima racks. You can't lock them on though but they are pretty low priced. The yakimas are bulky, strong and rubber coated which will mean less wear on your gear. If you don't by the locks and leave them on the car unattended they will run off with some unsavory character.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

arbskynxnex wrote: If you don't by the locks and leave them on the car unattended they will run off with some unsavory character.
that is why it is important to raise the right and to let them know they will always have a safe and loving home on the roof of your tercel :D
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ohcanada_00
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 DLX 4WD

Post by ohcanada_00 »

if you go Yakima, you need the 1A rain gutter system, 48" or longer bars depending on your preference and then whatever you want to put on top. I have test fit a Load Warrior which is what I'll eventually wind up with and it looks, fits perfectly and is the cheapest way to get a new ssytem with a basket up on the roof.
"Any car which holds together for an entire race is entirely too heavy" -Colin Chapman

84' DLX with 6 speed (the project beast) 'Tora'
84' SR5 'Tori' (the daily driver)
08' Scion xB
04' Kawasaki Z1000
Cayuse
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Cayuse »

I've got a Yakima !A rack on top with a SpaceCase cargo box. Solid fit but I notice the extra drag on long hills.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Hey,

I have some gutter racks from proline that were about $50 and they barely fit on (about 2 or 3 mm clearance from the roof to the tightening nuts. I also have a rola roof top basket and extension which ran about $300 I think. I love the basket and have used it to haul tons of stuff.

I would deninatley check out craigslist, kijiji, or usedyourtown and see if you can get a used set with locks...
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!