3AC -- "Interference Engine"???

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Rumrumm
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 2WD wagon, mostly original, owned since new.

3AC -- "Interference Engine"???

Post by Rumrumm »

A mechanic buddy told me that the 3AC is NOT an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt let go driving down the freeway that the engine would freewheel with no piston/valve damage. True or false???
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Re: 3AC -- "Interference Engine"???

Post by danzo »

That's correct. I have heard that on older non-interference engines that have alot of carbon buildup on the pistons it may be possible to slightly bend valves. Haven't seen it, don't know if it happens. If you broke your t-belt just line up the marks as per the FSM and the motor should run again.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Somewhere on this site, I posted pictures that I took of the clearance between the valves at max open and piston at TDC. There is plenty of clearance. I used play clay on top of the piston at TDC, clamped down a head without a head gasket and turned the crankshaft a full 360. If you put in a high performance regrind crankshaft, you could turn it into an interference engine, but stock, it is not.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The valves clearing the pistons are not a problem, but I have seen the piston hit the head when the bearing clearance was so large (due to running it without oil) that it allowed the piston top to smack the head. I have also seen a number of times when exhaust valves have melted, broken parts off, or even lost their whole valve head (and damaged the piston badly) because of running the 5 deg BTDC timing. Exhaust runs cooler with 10 deg spark timing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)