Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Someone asked about Power Steering and replacable Struts.My 84 has both. :P
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

an odd statement....do most tercels no have these?

mine has strut cartriges and ps
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah,someone asked if the 4x's came with power-steering and I had assumed that it was a common option.Based on the responce(of that question),it looked like it wasnt so common,but I am curious as to why it wouldnt be.As for the struts,there was a question earlyer as to weather the earlyer wagons had removable stuts and I just got-around to checking it yesterday.So the statement would look "unatatched" to the passer-bye.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

I know i've seenwith and without steering. I know the older cars used the pressed shell to hub type struts that had replaceable cartriges. That went out with the do-do birds, however FORD (yucky) kept the design for years after. Anything made after '83 (Toyota) had the new sealed core strut design that uses the 2 metric bolts to attach it to the hub.
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Most of my cars have been heavier american cars so when I looked at how it was atached to the Hub,I went cross-eyed for a second.It is fun to learn about the Macpherson set-up,but dosent it seem like alot of effort to change the absorber? I guessing that one advantage is that you lose some unsprung weight(A-arm?),but do you know of other advantages? It looks like once your over the strut-changing learning-curve,it gets alot easier.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The strut design moves the wheel in and out less through its travel, so it travels more vertically. I think this would be smoother and more responsive, but I'm no expert in suspension dynamics. They say struts are worse and they only use them because they are cheap. I don't see what's cheaper because you have to have this piston and cylinder assembly that uses very hard steel instead of just another suspension arm with rubber bushings. Struts also add unsprung weight. I'm no big fan of the AL25 Tercel's front suspension. It has weak front and back support because the only thing that supports it in that direction is the sway bar which needs to have alot of slop in the bushings because it moves in an arc perpendicular to the control arm. There really should be a lower control arm that mounts to 2 points on the frame instead of one.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

3A-C Power wrote: It has weak front and back support because the only thing that supports it in that direction is the sway bar which needs to have alot of slop in the bushings because it moves in an arc perpendicular to the control arm. There really should be a lower control arm that mounts to 2 points on the frame instead of one.
make one!!!! or use ones off of a camry so you cna use the hubs. Just make hangers for it out of 1/4" angle stock!!!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I've been thinking about making an attachment for the control arm that adds forward/backward support. It would mount to the frame behind or in front of the control arm and pivot along the same axis, and bend towards the control arm and join it close to the ball joint. It would add alot of stiffness to keep the alignment tight during braking and acceleration.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

i used hss pipe and some grade 8 threaded rod. attach the ball joint to the frame in a tri-angular pattern.
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the Imfo,Dynamic-Duo,that lower single-Arm did have a high cringe-factor when I saw it,although one good point is the truer vertical movement.To bad I stoped working at Tilton Enginering years ago,I could "cranked-out" some type of Lateral Control-Arm,O well,we'll just talk you-guys into starting a small,low-key machine-shop! Its gotta happen sooner or later right,especialy with Nicks(GT's) help! :D
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I'm looking at getting a manual lathe and milling machine, that is after I get a JOB. I make most stuff with a hacksaw and a drill, but that won't work for output shafts and gears and stuff.
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

If you could get your hands on one,a Manual End-Mill would probably help the most.If the parts are stationary you would have more cutting-options in terms of cutting-tool-type and position.You can change the cutting-surface with a greater variety of part-positions and still get an acurate radias by useing a fixed pattern-guide.If you use a Guide,you can also mass-produce odd shapes,witch I thought was pretty-cool and when you think about it indesposable.Then all you need is a bandsaw,welding and Air?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I'm hoping to work somewhere that has a machine shop that I can use. Last summer I worked in a small shop with manual and CNC lathes and mills, and I was allowed to make stuff during lunch and whenever the shop was open late. The CNC machines were always running production stuff so I never got to make anything with those but I did alot just with the manual machines. I am going to go back to that company and ask if I can have a job again, it probably won't work but I'd be a fool not to ask. I've been looking at miniature lathes and mills on the internet that go for a few hundred dollars. They're pretty cheesy but with alot of care they could handle most of what I'd be doing. Eventually, I will eventually have a real machine shop in my house but I need a half decent house first, and I need to set up the power requirements. Those big machines don't run on 110 volts A.C.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

So 3A-C Power it looks like you're going to run your Tercel 4WD parts and upgrades on your own home when you get your own machine shop at home! I think that is so cool because you can actually take control of what you make and its cheaper cost, while quality is not sacrificed. It looks like you're going to be making a batchful of upgrade parts for our Tercel 4WDs.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Those smaller machines should work fine,as long as there isnt to much part size restriction.They might not even have multi-phase motors,Ive seen that style at Harbor Frieght before,and I herd that Chinese motors and machineing have realy improved.Mabey Ill stop-and-look on the way to the J-Yard Tomorrow. Alan <_<