Bike Carbs 4x32mm

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Re: Bike Carbs 4x32mm

Post by PrescottAZ »

So the car is still sitting at the shop.
As of yesterday I drove by and popped the hood. No change. The only thing done so far that I can see is unbolt the makeshift manifold. Most of the parts are still there just unbolted and laying there. He keeps giving me new dates on when he will get it in for me. If he hadn't pulled it apart I think I would have pulled it out and taken it somewhere else. To be fair I told him it wasn't a rush but that was when he said he would have it done in a couple of days.
Now I have a new employee orientation with Redbox tomorow and I am going to have to take the wifes car.
Lame.
I will bug him about it again and see where it goes from there.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

Had the same problem when I went to get my trans rebuilt up here. guy has it for almost a month, then finally calls me and says its not rebuildable. The catch? he showed me the trans, it was still together in one piece, just had the diff apart. Incompetence is the mother of all headaches.

Hope that fella gets his rear in gear.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

He decided to do it today!
And now I have to tune it up again.
The idle is crappy but the midrange is all kinds of smoother and the top is still screaming.
I will bump up the timing as much as I am willing and then see if I can smooth out the idle.
Still need to figure out how to get some vacuum over to the booster though. Makes a huge difference in brake power:).
Can I just say that butt dynoes suck after driving a more powerful car around for a while. Wish I knew someone up here that had a stocker so we could hop back and forth or "race" Maybe a forty to sixty pull.
Maybe a youtube video that one of you guys could submit a stock 40-60 pull and we could compare. Problem is alt and incline might not be the same.
Any ideas?

Once I have driven it around a bit I will fill it all the way for a mpg test.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Ill see what I can do about the 40-60 pull. Flat ground. approximate 200ft or so elevation. Only mods are sidepipe and advanced timing. I do have 4.10 gears though...and yours if it has its original trans will have the 3.73s.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The old Road & Track reviews of a new stock Tercel4wd is posted somewhere on the forum, it would be a good starting point for a measured 0-60 and I think a 40-60 time. I have been meaning to compare my 60-0 mph brake times with it since I now have the larger brakes, MR2 booster and master, and wider 14" wheels and tires.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

I think my front is 4.11 and the rear is 3.73 so I don't dare throw it in 4wd unless I have some serious snow. I need to get the rear end sorted out. Also I am 5300 ft plus here in prescott. Need to get it tuned up. I will do that tomorow and see if I can get some pics and videos up.
J
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Ok. Ill make a reminder for me to do a 0-60. Ill be shifting at 5k.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The R&T magazine clocked in the 1985 T4WD with the 4.10 from 0-60 at 15 secs flat. I once did a freeway pull against two of my cars, we started off in 4th gear and floored them. Needless to say, the 4.10 pulled ever-so-slightly away until I gave up and my friend kept going... lol
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

No chance to tinker today spent part of the day installing a lift on a cherokee and then worked a short shift followed by leading youth group. Way too busy.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Heres a quick 0-60 for reference.

Not much of a launch...but I was leaving the store.

Straight pipe and advanced timing along with 4.10 gears shifting at 6k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5V3jGv8 ... ideo_title
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Here it is running a bit better w/ manifold on it. So far I have 250 miles on the tank and about a 5th of a tank to go. Seems like under highway cruizing the engine temp drops down a bit, leading me to believe that it is rich still. static timing because the vac advance didn't make a difference when connected with a light on it. 9 degrees of advance on it so I may add some more.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video. ... 0579767093
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

EPIC! Just plain EPIC!

You might be able to run a little more timing. I think the standard is to go 5 up from stock. With a 5th to go at 250 miles....that sounds about the average that Ive been getting with the stock carb. Well see when you fill it up.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

yeah i was doing 240 on a tank so already i am happy. 280 when the light popped on today. I agree on more timing adv. and I hink I can go down on the jet size a bit since the engine is running cold and making me think I have a rich condition. Maybe 140's.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I get about 280 miles a tank on mixed driving, and about 310-330 miles hwy. The most I have gone was 340 miles, but that was scary, way past the light coming on.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

guess when I get the cash Ill have to fill 'er up and then toss a 5 gallon can in the back and see how far I can really go. I agree with going down a size. At least you know you aint running lean though.