Bike Carbs 4x32mm

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Re: Bike Carbs 4x32mm

Post by PrescottAZ »

arbskynxnex wrote:the 4ac powered forums has a bit of info on setting up bike carbs and the like for the 4ac most of which should apply to a 3ac. It might save you from reinventing the wheel on some things.
Looked around and could not locate what you are talking about a link would help.

They are at a slight incline but I doubt 30 degrees. They are not secured yet. That is definately on the list and they will be secured a bit higher. I don't want to run over my own carbs :)
Unfortunately they didn't come with the air box so I will end up w pod filters for now.
The air box would also make creating a snorkle a bit easier.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

I have moved up to 150 main jets and I will be moving up to number 20 pilot jets. Redid the runners with a solid pipe so they dont flex as much. Did a compression test and am running 85 psi on one cylinder at 1k rpm. Not happy about that. Guessing a small head gasket problem as it consumes some h2o.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

could also be a burned exhaust valve, is the low compression in either number one or two cylinder?

IF you pull the head make sure you follow my head gasket procedure, with modifications, when you install the new head gasket with a rebuilt head. BTW, if your exhaust valves are shot, just replace them. they do not cost much and regrinding does not make the heat damage go away, you risk have one break off (I have seen it a number of times). Intake valves can be reground no problem.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

I plan to get the carbs going and run it as is until I can get my hands ona 7afe. My last terk I received when someone completely melted a conecting rod (sitting in the pan completely disconnected), I pulled that plug and drove it on three for a while til I could source the 5afe. That is the plan for now. The carbs will transfer over.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Any ideas how this might affect vac advance? Seems like a stronger vac signal than before.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

I know alot of guys are running without the vac advance. I disconnected mine for a bit, didnt see any difference so I hooked it back up just in case. Any more updates?
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

if you have locked timing its ok, if you dont not worth it
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

just ordered filters and a new set of pilot jets. Should be up and at it next week.
So far I have 50 in the carb 25 in jets 28 in filters 30 in hardware for the manifold.
So under 150 but I am hoping I can land the jets close on a few shots so the price doesn't run up on me.
20 pilots and 150 mains
Still need a cable for the choke.
I think I have one in the yard off my delivery jeep... somewhere
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Im liking this under 150 part. lol. Though all the carbs around here are expensive compared to how much you payed for yours. Once you get it dialed in to the right jet, it wont cost as much for you to do it again to another car cause you already know what jet size youll need.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is a great mod for the Tercel, I might even consider doing it for my 4age swap to avoid messing with the EFI. do you have pictures to post of your current manifold set-up? You also must make a detailed list of all the parts you used.

Suppliers like JC Whitney used to be always good for "auxliarly" choke cables, and generic items like that cheap.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Just ran into a guy I sold my kp61 starlet to and he just finished doing R1 carbs on an older toyota so I may have some tuning help.
Still no jets or filters. I would like to get them for this weekend. I have a bit more energy right now cause our business is starting get moving a bit and that excites me.
I will definately go through and detail out a working setup with a video and dos and donts. It is looking like the proper way to do this will be to cut back the manifold and have short straight pipes welded on cause my intake hose is so close to the exhaust it has a blackened look to it in a few places.
Tired of driving the wifes car around
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Have you thought about adding a heat shield between the exhaust and your intake hose? Even if you swap out the rubber hose for a steel pipe, it would still help to divert heat away from the intake runners.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Yeah problem is the exhaust almost touches the intake runners where everything comes together at the head. Not sure how effective it would be. I am not going to invest too much into building the 3ac. This is more about learning my way through a bile carb swap so that I can eventualy land them on the 7afe that is to come. Still waiting on filters and jets that I ordered... Kinda wanted this thing on the road already.

When I get some cash I will be doing some fairly major undertakings on this thing.
1. 7afe swap w the bike carbs and a new exhaust. 7afe clutch and lighter flywheel
2. drop the engine cradle and trans mount 2-3 inches and extend stearing arm
3. swap in some rav 4 struts and springs out front
4. ditch the sway bar and use that LCA mounting point for a rear link with heim joints
5. 215/65/16's already have them but need 16 wheels and a higher strut perch to squish them in there
6. get a matching gear for the rear need 410 in back still
7. Custom bumpers and skids (nothing super fancy just protection)
8. (If I can convince the wife that I need either a second terc or a 1st gen mr2) cage it and ditch the doors and top- most likely wont happen but I may ditch the doors

I am guesing I can do 1-7 with about $1500 if I shop it well and build everything myself.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

PrescottAZ wrote: 3. swap in some rav 4 struts and springs out front
4. ditch the sway bar and use that LCA mounting point for a rear link with heim joints
Were the rav 4 struts discussed previously on here somewhere? I know Camry 4cyl springs were...but rav 4s are easier to find in a junkyard around here. Id love to see how you accomplish this along with #4. I was originally thinking of running a 2 link setup kinda like I think you're describing. A bar or rod that connects the LCA and the swaybar mount. Keep in mind you have to allow room for the tires to turn...that was the downfall of my design. Luckily mine was just an Idea and I hadnt modified anything yet. Im still waiting for some extra money so I can try lowering the swaybar mount.

As for the exhaust/intake situation, ya, you're right. Welded on extensions will be needed. Might also be possible to use some header wrap somehow either on the intake runners itself or the exhaust. It would be a tight squeeze though thats for sure.

The 7a would help turn the bigger tires too. Unfortunately theres no one out there that makes some lower gears for us. Just imagine though, some 5.18s or something. Talk about a crawler. lol.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Nope the RAV 4 Struts have not been done but I have been doing some measurements at junk yards and feel they are a possibility. Not a direct swap but I believe a low modification swap.

Yeah the LCA mod would have to have a bend for tire clearance similar to what is done on sprint cars. Where I got the idea. Working on my cousins sprint car. Definately not aluminum. I figure I will shape it like the sway bar with similar measurements and shape but move it to the back side.

Either that or cut the sway bar at the bend and make an end link for it so it becomes just links rather than a sway bar.

I was thinking I might try to dissable the 4wd only part of EL and drive it like a 6speed so that first was not ungodly high with the big tires. Just a thought that I have not investigated at all.