what is a 3A-S engine?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

what is a 3A-S engine?

Post by Starbug »

The head and valve cover are not the same as a 3A, 3A-C, 4A, or 4A-C. The 3A-S valve cover and head are shaped differently, they have gentle curves instead of being straight on the sides where they mate together, and the gasket does not match up and seal against a normal straight 4AC head. I can't find any information on it anywhere, even wikipedia. I ask because I have what I thought was just a regular 3A sitting in my garage. While cleaning the valve cover off, I saw the sticker on it said 3A-S. Ok whatever, probably just refers to emissions equipment installed on a normal 3A.... so I sent it off to be powder coated blue to match my car. When it came back, we attempted to install it on my 4AC and realized that it didn't match up at all. Closer examination revealed that both valve cover and head were not the same shape as either a regular 3A or 4A engine or their California emissions equipped versions.

Has anyone ever heard of this engine? It seemed to be just as slow and underpowered as any other 3A or 3AC back when it was still in the '83 Tercel 4wd wagon it came from. So it's not a more powerful version or anything.
Top Notch Member

Re: what is a 3A-S engine?

Post by Highlander »

The 3A-S is a JDM engine. My wife has one in her T4WD. It should have a dashpot on the back of hte head that actuates vanes in the intake tract. The vanes are supposed to give more power at low R's by reducing the flow area and thus maintaining the intake velocity to get better efficiency. My wife's does have more power than the other 3 (not including the one that I built and ported the head on) as well as good mpgs.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

there are 3 3as engines that i know of (and own) there is the 3as which is the one with the swirl port, the scv which is the one that has a vacum activated valve in the intake, and 3asu which has the dual exit exhaust manifold and a dual variable ventouri carbs, the last one was rated at 90hp and 82 ft/lb
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

Wow, very cool! Maybe mine was underpowered like a regular 3A because it was a tired engine that needed to be rebuilt? Perhaps with some TLC and a few new parts it would regain the better power it's supposed to have. How much hp is the 3A-S supposed to have? Would it be pretty close to the 90hp of the 3A-SU that Shogun mentions?
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

shogun wrote:there are 3 3as engines that i know of (and own) there is the 3as which is the one with the swirl port, the scv which is the one that has a vacum activated valve in the intake, and 3asu which has the dual exit exhaust manifold and a dual variable ventouri carbs, the last one was rated at 90hp and 82 ft/lb
I did a search and found the page linked below with the vac diagram of the 3asu engine. That is one wild spaghetti system!

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

yea the vacum things of thate engine are a hot mess, that is why i took it off and went a ida 48 weber, but the car was gas guzzling so went back to the 32 36
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
motownbrowne
My tercel:: '83 SR5, 6speed manual

Post by motownbrowne »

Mine has a 3a-s, which as I understand, stands for "swirl intake". Maybe supposed to have a little more power, but from my experience, not too much.
Starbug
Top Notch Member

Post by Starbug »

motownbrowne wrote:Mine has a 3a-s, which as I understand, stands for "swirl intake". Maybe supposed to have a little more power, but from my experience, not too much.
So maybe mine was normal after all; it sure didn't seem to be any different than a regular 3A as far as the horsepower went.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

swirl ports are supposed to improve low rpm performance, and typically sacrifice some top end power (which the 3a does not have much anyway). My 20R Toyota truck engine had swirl intake ports, I ground them out and open the port as far as I can make it, did not make any noticeable difference while driving it, but did improve the power out put.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I believe only the twin-carb 3A-SU made something like 85-90 HP, which is what they should've all had, but a 3A-S isn't going to make that much power without the twin-exit exhaust manifold and better carb arrangement. The later 4A-C's also had the "wavy" valve covers like the JDM 3A variants.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"