Left front wheel humming

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Left front wheel humming

Post by skyerunner »

So the little beast has developed a humming in the left front wheel. It is accentuated when I turn right (body rolls and shifts weight to the left side) and decreases when it is less weighted. I suspect it to be a wheel bearing, and was wondering if folks have some advice about replacing front wheel bearing and what special tools I might need. I've found some writeups about rear wheel bearings and was wondering if there were significant differences.
Cheers,
Jon
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Left front wheel humming

Post by xirdneh »

generally if the left bearing is going bad it will make the most noise when making a right turn
and the reverse for the right
you can go a long ways on a bearing that is making noise
it will continue to get louder till its annoying
Sdoan did a write up on on this site for doing the bearing yourself

i prefer to remove the hub and take it apart (remove old bearing)
and take it to a machine shop to have them install the new bearing and seals
locally they charge 40.00
i have been ordering the bearing and seals (two per side..inner and outer) from Rockauto
price for bearing has been as low as 18.00 (wholesale closeout) at Rockauto
local parts stores want as much as 60.00
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

What is it humming? could your record it perhaps and post it here so perhaps we might recognize the tune? :-)

Could be wheel bearing, jack the wheel up and see if there is any play in the bearing when you push and pull sideways on the wheel. Also if you remove the wheel and caliper you can rotate the front hub by hand and feel if it turns smoothly.

Small chance it could be the CV joint, but not likely.

There is a thread on replacing the bearing yourself in the repair guides section. Really helps to have a press rather than beating the bearing out. ONe thing I did was remove the strut from the car and took it to a repair shop and paid them just to press out the old bearing and press in the new one. Proper equipment makes the difference between the job taking a few minutes, or hours, and risk damaged parts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

also the humming could come from bad seals in the bearing, grease gets out humidity and salt get in and starts humming, happened to me after a time i went to the beach often, boiled the bearing in 30w oil repacked it with bearing grease and was fine, no scuff marks or anything.
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come