Tercel Pr0n! *pics* (Also Wal-Mart wrangling)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Tercel Pr0n! *pics*

Post by dlb »

re: window trims. the shit that's on there that tends to flake off eventually is a real pain. i had a ton of difficulty getting it off when we painted ron a few months back and wound up sanding down the edges where the stuff had flaked off, but didn't want to give any further. i was REALLY meticulous with my side of the car and it turned out well but my buddy was a little hastier on the other side and it shows when you look closely at it so take your time or the mistakes will show.

definitely do the 4WD emblem on the grill in red, that would be bad ass. it's a bitch to get at but if you use a really small roller for most of it and then just wipe the paint on with the edge of the roller for the deeper recessed "toyota" part of it that will work fine. i did mine in green after flat-blacking the rest of the grill.
St6fan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

Post by St6fan »

Thanks for the advice - I suck at painting so any guidance is always appreciated.

I tried to remover the rear wiper but failed - any ideas?
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i love questions i can answer!

where the rear wiper arm attaches to the body, there's a cover. simply pull it off, carefully pry it with a screwdriver if it's stuck. there's a 10 or 12 mm nut that attaches the arm. remove the nut. flip the arm so it's sticking out, away from the glass, and pull on the base. you will have to work it and rock it around a little bit because the nut that you just took off squeezes the arm over some splines quite tightly so that the arm stays in the position you set it at, rather than swinging all around and scrubbing your license plate. if it's really stuck, you'll have to carefully pry it off with a screwdriver again.
St6fan
Top Notch Member

Post by St6fan »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:i love questions i can answer!

where the rear wiper arm attaches to the body, there's a cover. simply pull it off, carefully pry it with a screwdriver if it's stuck. there's a 10 or 12 mm nut that attaches the arm. remove the nut. flip the arm so it's sticking out, away from the glass, and pull on the base. you will have to work it and rock it around a little bit because the nut that you just took off squeezes the arm over some splines quite tightly so that the arm stays in the position you set it at, rather than swinging all around and scrubbing your license plate. if it's really stuck, you'll have to carefully pry it off with a screwdriver again.
That's how I removed the front wipers but the rear, under the cover at the base of the arm, has a much smaller nut. I removed that and tried prying the arm off - it would not budge!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Try a dab of a good penetrant like PB Blaster - or the best ever - Aero Kroil from KanoLabs, and let it sit overnight.
When you replace it, use a dab of antiseize on the splines (or even grease).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Toys4US
My tercel:: 87 Tercel SR5

Post by Toys4US »

For your car stereo.. if you were thinking of keeping it stock.. you can get one of those cig lighter adapter with a MP3 player fm broadcast... using a SD card or a USB flash drive stick. They are pretty cheap over here... $9.99 plus HST @ xscargo.
FM TRANSMITTER WITH USB & SD INPUT
$9.99

* PLAYS YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC THROUGH ANY CAR STEREO SYSTEM
* CONNECTS WITH ANY IPOD, MP3 PLAYER, CD PLAYER, DVD PLAYER OR LAPTOP
* TURNS ANY USB MEMORY DRIVE OR SD CARD INTO AN MP3 PLAYER
* MINI REMOTE CONTROL
* USB PORT, SD CARD SLOT & 3.5MM STEREO INPUT JACK (CABLE INCLUDED)

They work pretty good. I've seen them at O'Reilly's, Fred and Meyer, and other stores in Washington state but around 20 to 25 bucks. I got mine from XScargo.
St6fan
Top Notch Member

Post by St6fan »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Try a dab of a good penetrant like PB Blaster - or the best ever - Aero Kroil from KanoLabs, and let it sit overnight.
When you replace it, use a dab of antiseize on the splines (or even grease).
Tom M.
Thanks. If iy comes off by removing the exterior nut and nothing else, I'll just bully it off tomorrow. Thanks! :)
Toys4US wrote:For your car stereo.. if you were thinking of keeping it stock.. you can get one of those cig lighter adapter with a MP3 player fm broadcast... snipsnipsnip
What I'm going to try and do is remove the front of the original unit and have a new unit hidden behind it - with the front of the original hinged to it folds down showing the new stereo. If that makes any sense. So the original fascia pops down revealing a new head unit... I think that's the best of both worlds. I asked a friens for a quote to do exactly that so if he'll do it, of course, I'll post pics, etc... :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

With respects to your stereo I don't think that is a bad idea. however I think Toys4US's idea is best I would spend your money on some good speakers that fit in the dash and on the rear shelfs and a sub. Does anyone even use CD's anymore?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
St6fan
Top Notch Member

Post by St6fan »

Mattel wrote:With respects to your stereo I don't think that is a bad idea. however I think Toys4US's idea is best I would spend your money on some good speakers that fit in the dash and on the rear shelfs and a sub. Does anyone even use CD's anymore?
I already have a giant pile of stuff sitting here.

Going into the car will be 2X12" Alpine subs, a huge JBL amp and four new Infinity Kappa speakers. One question - do you think there's room under the front seats for subs? I'd much rather that than a giant box in the trunk!
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

St6fan wrote:
Mattel wrote:With respects to your stereo I don't think that is a bad idea. however I think Toys4US's idea is best I would spend your money on some good speakers that fit in the dash and on the rear shelfs and a sub. Does anyone even use CD's anymore?

Going into the car will be 2X12" Alpine subs, a huge JBL amp and four new Infinity Kappa speakers. One question - do you think there's room under the front seats for subs? I'd much rather that than a giant box in the trunk!
A 12" will not fit under the seats. Why you would want to haul around 100lbs. of subwoofers is beyond me. don't get me wrong when I was 16, I had 2 x 15" 3 x 12" and 2 x 10" in my car but that was to get laid.........
Just some of the newer stuff is so far superior, I have an 8" alpine in a bazooka tube with a small alpine amp and it blows peoples mind with the sound. weighs maybe 15lbs. and fits behind the front seat when the back seats are folded flat so I don't loose out on any space when camping or hauling stuff.
I would just get a high level input converter to feed your amp the signal from the factory head unit. or look for an early 90's previa/camry with a cd deck looks very similar to your head unit is still double din tape deck on top cd on bottom. looks original but gives you cd ability and should be plug and play with ur harness. If your amp is so equipped you can also plug into it with a rca to 3.5mm plug and run your I-POD directly to the amp so you can still play mp3's using it as a head unit when u want mp3's. Simple input switches can be purchased if your amp only has one set of inputs. I did this in my old rock crawler so i would not have to worry about mounting a head unit. just plug in i-pod and go................
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
St6fan
Top Notch Member

Post by St6fan »

Barto wrote:
St6fan wrote:

A 12" will not fit under the seats. Why you would want to haul around 100lbs. of subwoofers is beyond me. don't get me wrong when I was 16, I had 2 x 15" 3 x 12" and 2 x 10" in my car but that was to get laid.........
Just some of the newer stuff is so far superior, I have an 8" alpine in a bazooka tube with a small alpine amp and it blows peoples mind with the sound. weighs maybe 15lbs. and fits behind the front seat when the back seats are folded flat so I don't loose out on any space when camping or hauling stuff.
I would just get a high level input converter to feed your amp the signal from the factory head unit. or look for an early 90's previa/camry with a cd deck looks very similar to your head unit is still double din tape deck on top cd on bottom. looks original but gives you cd ability and should be plug and play with ur harness. If your amp is so equipped you can also plug into it with a rca to 3.5mm plug and run your I-POD directly to the amp so you can still play mp3's using it as a head unit when u want mp3's. Simple input switches can be purchased if your amp only has one set of inputs. I did this in my old rock crawler so i would not have to worry about mounting a head unit. just plug in i-pod and go................
Thanks for the advice!

The subs and amp don't weight more than 35LB - I think 100LB is something of an exaggeration! ;)

I'm only going to use this stuff because it's sitting here unused. I was also thinking of mounting the naked subs and amp directly to the rear seats - spaced an inch or so from flush to try and conserve space... *shrug* It's difficult to justfy buying new stuff when I have a big pile of nearly-new stuff right here.

What dimensions are the stock speakers btw? I can't find an answer anywhere on here. (Search terms bring up too many results.)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

the fronts are 4" and the rears are 5.25" i think. there was a thread on this a while back but i don't remember where. i was confused because my car came with 6.5" rears and i didn't realize those were aftermarkets that the PO put in.
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

Still throwing this out there, 8)
I am selling my custom sub box with 2 12" sub woofers, Amp mounts to the front of it in a display window that you can see when you fold down the rear seats.
I'm up in Victoria, just a little north of you. I'm willing to sell it fairly inexpensivly. Very inexpensivly if you don't want the amp or 6by9's. I'm going to rebuild somthing else next summer cuz I also run a carputer and I need to make enough changes it will be easyer to build somthing new.

I posted a post awhile ago listing pictures. We have the same Interior, I did it to match the grey. If your interested, I'm easy ither way. Would rather see it go to a good home than sit in my storage unit for the rest of time cuz I did'nt have the heart to get rid of it. Just an idea.
~Tom C.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Nice rig St6fan!,

It looks like it's gonna be a challenge next year to try and beat you out for the best Tercel. Your is defiantly worth an award. Either way, I'm lookin forward to seeing a swarm of Tercels there next year.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Beautiful ride St6fan! GorJuice!