Tercel interchangable parts

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Re: Tercel interchangable parts

Post by danzo »

tercel4wdrules wrote:Are you talking about the current generation Tacomas with the 2TR-FE 159 hp DOHC engines? I wonder if that engine will even fit, but it would be a lot of fun. I've driven a few of these, but this engine pales in comparison with the much larger and powerful 4.0L V6 engine in the Tacomas.
Yes, I was referencing the 2TR-FE, but like I said I would never seriously try to put 'er in a T4wd. I was just brainstorming big power rear drive 4 cylinder motors. The 4 liter 'coma is a great engine too, but why fiddle-faddle with that when the 8.4L 600hp Viper engine is available?

I haven't had a chance to check my local yards yet for alts, but a newer Corolla unit shouldn't be too hard to come by. I may just swap the (internal) voltage regulator since that is prolly the only prob with my current alt. Bearings are OK. There are a coupla geezer rebuilders local, but that's a last option.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

"geezer"--LOL. i love that term.
Dryfry

Post by Dryfry »

I might have to visit the old codger at the Toyota wreckers here in Perth and see about upgrading my front anchors to MR2 specs.
What I've got 1986 Tercel 4wd wagon....Paint code 4G8 with brown interior.
Fitted with the Big Block 4A
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Dryfry wrote:I might have to visit the old codger at the Toyota wreckers here in Perth and see about upgrading my front anchors to MR2 specs.
Now where's my Aussie-to-American dictionary....

Minor update on my charging situation. I bought what turned out to be a remanufactured 91 Tercel alternator from a j-yard for $35. Depending on where I have it and my original alt tested they can be either OK or not; I'm getting a bit frustrated. AZ did say my battery is bad which may be the culprit. I bought it used at AZ since the battery that came with my car wasn't the proper size. I will prolly just reinstal the original alt and get a spanking new battery and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/help.

Go Rangers.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Dryfry wrote:I might have to visit the old codger at the Toyota wreckers here in Perth and see about upgrading my front anchors to MR2 specs.
Read the thread on this topic in "repair guides" under Brake up-grade. You will need the newer Tercel ('92 or newer) front rotors (requires only about 1/8" shim under hub, MR2 rotors would work but requires much thicker shim, and longer front wheel studs), the MR2 front calipers from '83-86 (later ones might fit but they are larger dia and I have not tried those), the MR2 master cyl. and the brake booster, and either the MR2 or '92 Tercel front flex hoses (or have custom length ones made up, costs more).

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Post by Robinson »

Sorry Petros when you say change the ring and pinion (not exactly sure what this is)from the all trac because it is the same ratio do you mean just changhing the diff center as is this the same thing? Also from wat i gather they don't have a lsd avaliable in this ratio to suit tercel out of al trac do they? Can a diff locker be added instead? By the sounds the corolla diff is different ratio so these lsd are no good for Tercel? Thanks very much.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The ring and pinion is the gear set in the differential, the set comes in different ratios; tercel4wd have two 3.73:1 for '83 and '84, and 4.1:1 for '85 and later (which is a better ratio for this car for both on and off pavement use, if you have an eariler ratio consider swapping over to the 4.1:1 ratios).

The Tercel4wd has a 7 inch rear differential, and AFSIK no one makes a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) for it, it has what is known as an "open" differential. The Corolla GTS (rear wheel drive only) and the Corolla All-track use a larger diff, 7.5" dia, and there are 3 companies that make LSD diffs for it (and it was optional in both cars I think from the factory). Since the rear axle assemblies are similar in the Tecel4wd, GTS and All-trac, it is possible to swap out a gts or all-trac rear axle into the Tercel4wd, and than get an LSD for it. But you will have to match the ring and pinion gear set to the the tercel4wd front diff ratio. The corolla already uses the 4.1:1 ratio ring and pinion gear set, but if you get a GTS rear axle it comes with a 4.3..something ratio, so you would have to get the ring and pinon gear set from an All-trac to fit it the 7.5" diff in the GTS axle.

You could order all new parts if you want to accomplish the same thing, but that would be big bucks. It can be done cheap with junk yard parts if you know where to get all the correct bits and pieces. If you get luck you might even find an LSD rear diff in a Corolla rear axle in the wrecking yard, but that seems unlikey. The GTS rear diffs do show up on E-bay regularly.

So if you want LDS rear with rear disk brakes on your TErcel4wd, get a complete Corolla GTS (rwd) rear axles assembly, but than you have to change it to a 4.1:1 ring and pinion gear set (that you can get from an all-trac rear axle). You will have to adapt the parking brake set-up too. If you are lucky you will get a factory LSD with the GTS rear axle assembly, but more likely you would have to buy one on e-bay and install it with the 4.1:1 ring and pinion gear set.

If you just want an LSD rear end, get a Corolla all-trac rear axle and get an LSD diff and install it (using the all-trac ring and pinion set). the rear brakes on the all-track are similar size to the TErcel, but a bit wider shoes and will adapt just fine.

If you can not follow that than perhaps you should find a good mod shop to do it for you.
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Post by Robinson »

Thanks Petros, Iunderstand now thanks very much for the detailed specific info. Good to know as i wanted a spare car for my 2 86 tercels so i know that better off gettin a newer one. I also heard the gearbox is different ratios in these 84 and earlier models. There is an all trac rear axel i can get from a wreck so this might be handy especially if it has a lsd in it. I heard you can test by jacking a rear wheels and seeing if it spins freely while holding one still. Not sure if this is right?
I recon a little car like this would be fine with the rear drums for the driving i manly do but for a full rally packer sure they would be nice. Anyone done this conversion as would love to here the difference it makes on the off road? Ta
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

P.s I don't think we have this rear wheel drive corola in oz as the toyota wreckers hasn't seen them.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

with both rear wheels off the ground, engine off trans in gear (so drive shaft does not rotate, you can also have someone hold the drive shaft), on an open diff, turn one rear wheel and the other turns in opposite direction. LSD should not turn at all (make sure parking brake is off), and with drive shaft free to rotate, LSD will turn both wheels in same direction.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Robinson wrote:Hi i am new to this site but have a few 86 tercels to repair and get through inspections. I was wondering how many parts are interchangeable off the 4wd corola altrack with the tercel. Also is there any model that has rear disc brakes that can fit a tercel. Thanks :)
A good way to test for inter-change-ability is to go to...

http://www.car-part.com/

Enter a specific part...you might see a dialogue to to what kind of interchangability you expect...but their data base will give you a good idea as to what fits what.....years and type of vehicle.

You can also do this for wheels...and you can see pics of them.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sunray
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by sunray »

I'm sorry guys but after reading this business about the differentials I have to say that the info here is dead wrong.

The tercels use an "S" code rear differential. Its a 6.38" diff that is of the same design as corollas from 1967-1988. The ae86 (gts) corollas along with early celicas and the 1973-74 corolla sr5 all got "T" series differentials which are a 6.7" unit. I put one of these in my '74 corolla with a TRD lsd. The 7.5" diff came in some early supras as a solid axle and then became the diff for the irs rear ends in later celicas and cressidas. Strong but rare.

The ae86 gts diff is a 4.3 to 1 ratio stock. The ae86 sr5 diff (the 6.38) can be anything from a 3.73 to a 4.44.

When in doubt look at the engine plate under the hood under the axle. It will have a code like s292 or something. This code tells you what diff it has. Reference here:

http://www.toysport.com/technical%20inf ... ations.htm

The last corolla alltrac I had in the air has an S code diff meaning 6.38" crap. There are rare trd lsd units for them but REALLY rare. The T series lsd are still in production from a few aftermarket companies.

I've done a lot of diff swaps for toyotas and knowledge can be power. PS: I think rear discs are terrible on a 4wd vehicle.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I wonder about your Post Script - so then it is the marketing departments that force the beancounters to relent and compel the engineers to spec discs on the rear of 4WD vehicles - even "real" 4WD vehicles?
Somehow I think beancounters have the final word and bend to no one...

And I also wonder - why is the Tercel rear axle "crap?"
Per the original spec for the T4WD, it was common knowledge that it used the same rear axle as did umpteen millions of Corollas - even Wikipedia contains that info.
This unit seems to have the least number of complaints/failures (indeed, if any) of any major component reported in this site.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

My tercels has the tran/axel code as Z54F which is not listed on the link sunray has given for toyota differentials. Are Australian models different listing i wonder?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

That is all interesting information Sunray,

I have owned a '90 Corolla All-trac at the same time I owed several different year Tercel4wd. I compared the rear axle very carefully, and although they look similar, the all-trac axle is heavier, and the diff 3rd member was larger and had more bolts than the Tercel4wd 3rd member. I assumed it was the same rear axle as RWD corolla GTS. I have access to an all-trac, I will count the mounting bolts on the diff again just to verify that it has one more mounting bolt as the Tercel4wd rear diff.

The Tercel rear axle is reasonably durable, I have seen them fail, but I suspect that was due to leaky seals and running the dry. Why would you consider them junk? Not likely they could handle 200 hp +, but neither will the trans, front diff, axles, suspension or anything else.

I am curious why you think disk brakes are not any good for off-road. All of the off road racers have 4 wheel disk brakes, as does the ATVs and all of the high priced 4x4 vehicles (Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, BTW, Escalade, etc). If they are not good for the rear, than they would not be good for the front either. Disks have far less tendency to trap sand and small rocks in them compared to a disk brake, and disk work better when wet, front or rear. I have never heard of anyone disparaging disk brakes for off road use.