Revamping the battle wagon.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel Wagon 4wd 5spd W/EL

Revamping the battle wagon.

Post by Tercel_jon »

I went out to my car the other day after it quit pouring rain and found 4 inches of water in the drivers side floorboard. I believe it was cause I ran the wires for my tach and lights through the door not allowing the weather stripping to seal. Anyway, I pulled the ENTIRE interior out and set about drying the carpet. I dried the insulation and removed all that I could for weight reduction purposes and also for the fact that if this happens again I can just pull out the carpet and dry it.

Anyway, for the wires I drilled a hole in the firewall and ran my wires through there and then used silicone to seal them. Tach wires and everything else is nice and hidden under the carpet. I also rebuilt the rear deck that covers the cargo area. I used some plywood we had laying around, and transfered the original frames from the cardboard to the wood so they could still tilt when you open the hatch. I was also sick of my speakerboxes being so big and bulky. So I combined them with the rear cargo cover. They arent really subs, more like just 6 inch speakers...but they sound good. Also have 2 tweaters too. Still have to adapt the covers and carpet both panels.

However, the main reason for posting this was that Im contemplating about building an overhead console of some kind...Im concerned about it being too heavy and pulling the center of the roof down and being too low and hitting my head on it. If I had some metal Id weld up a bit of rollcage to go right behind the rear seats to support the roof and center console. However, thats not gonna happen any time soon. Any Ideas about this?

I also had a thought about doing a custom center console, but the stock one ins quite nice. I might just add to it or just change the little plastic cover that covers the hand brake. Anyone else have the problem of the rubber not staying put on that thing?

edit...just had an idea. Extend the center console backwards to the rear seat and add cup holders! I really need some there.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Revamping the battle wagon.

Post by Petros »

I think the best thing would be to make a new center console out of 1/4" plywood, and cover it with matching upholstery fabric. You can incorporate any new switches, a larger cargo holder and even several cup holders. Make it so it screws into the same locations as the plastic one. You can save the old one for if and when you sell the car, you just swap it back.

I do not think I would install overhead, unless you screw it into the roof it will not stay put. But there should be enough room there, unless you are ususally tall, these Tercel wagons have extra head room, unlike the sedans and hatch backs.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

For the overhead console I was gonna run some angle Iron from the passenger visor to the drivers visor and then two more pieces from there to the map light mounting screws. Small thin pieces obviously. From there Id hang the CB and maybe have a cd rack of sorts. Oh and switches...lots of them. Reason I asked about height was the way I was thinking about mounting it originally, using the "oh shit" handle mounting holes.

For the center console, I like the 1/4 plywood and using the fabric. That was originally my plan. As I was typing this I had an Idea. If I could somehow move the parking brake cable to say...the drivers floorboard, that would allow me to have an even bigger center console. Without a doubt Im keeping the front half, i like how its laid out and has a couple of spots for switches. Cup holders are definitely gonna happen. I also need a place to hide my mini compressor and air tank but I believe they will just go under the car. Either that or in the passenger rear fender behind all the plastic.

oh and theres no plans for resale, ever. It has 290XXX miles on it and I just put in a new trans for about a grand. Nothing around here goes for over $500 with that kind of mileage. Which is what I picked it up for with 283XXX.

In that being said...think it would be easy to move the parking brake to the drivers floorboard? Might have to extend the cables. I was thinking about putting it to the left as far as possible then thought about putting it in the middle. Although, now that I think about it...it would be a pain to reach all the way down. What do you think?
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

All of it sounds Great!!! just make sure to hang on of these on your rear view mirror. 8)
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

to move parking brake properly would take a lot of cutting and welding. THe forces on the cable are quite large and you need a sturdy bracket to attached the parking brake cable. I think i would leave it for the effort.

If you are going to move it, my favorite spot is actually next to the driver's door on the floor (between the seat and the rocker panel). My first car was a volvo 444 and than a 122S, and they put the parking brake there. It felt odd at first, but every time I had to push the car I saw the wisdom of putting it there, it was easy to reach from standing outside the door. It also leaves the center console open. You just have to get in the habit of reaching for the brake with your left hand.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

Lol love it Barto! My mom used to have one in a car she used to have. I have a mini butterfly knife hanging from my mirror, given to me by a close friend.

The overhead console is a work in progress right now. The front bracket has been made. Still need to drill holes in it and make the other two longer brackets that will go from the front one to the dome light. But I seam to have run out of angle iron...Im sure I have another piece around here somewhere though.

Petros wrote:to move parking brake properly would take a lot of cutting and welding. THe forces on the cable are quite large and you need a sturdy bracket to attached the parking brake cable. I think i would leave it for the effort.

If you are going to move it, my favorite spot is actually next to the driver's door on the floor (between the seat and the rocker panel). My first car was a volvo 444 and than a 122S, and they put the parking brake there. It felt odd at first, but every time I had to push the car I saw the wisdom of putting it there, it was easy to reach from standing outside the door. It also leaves the center console open. You just have to get in the habit of reaching for the brake with your left hand.
Yeah I thought about it all night last night and said screw it. Its staying where it is. I really liked where volvo put it, so that was part of my inspiration.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote:If you are going to move it, my favorite spot is actually next to the driver's door on the floor (between the seat and the rocker panel). My first car was a volvo 444 and than a 122S, and they put the parking brake there. It felt odd at first, but every time I had to push the car I saw the wisdom of putting it there, it was easy to reach from standing outside the door. It also leaves the center console open. You just have to get in the habit of reaching for the brake with your left hand.
OT, but... :wink:
After years of Morris Minor-hood, I had a new 122S in 1964. I thought it was odd as well - but got used to it. I thought it would be a hindrance in doing steep hill stop sign starts, but it proved just as easy as the center mounted levers. Unlike many of the Minors, I never had to push the Volvo.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

Volvos are a win and from what Ive seen tough as a brick and indestructible.

Anyways...question about the dome light. Mine has a switch that says "ON" "DOOR" "OFF". However, it only works in the "DOOR" position and when a door is opened. Why not the on position to? I have to open a door at 80mph to check my maps...lol.

Anyway. Main question is...should i keep the stock dome light or incorporate a new on into my new overhead?

Got one more bracket to make before the wood. :)

Seats from an '01 Tacoma wouldnt fit would they?
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

Alright guys. I got the main frame for the overhead console finished along with a template for my new center console. My new center console replaces the handbrake cover. Its about twice as tall and maybe half a length longer than the original. The top is gonna be a combination cup holder/arm rest/and lid. Under the lid is gonna be an ammo can witch will hold all kinds of stuff. Behind the ammo can section there is gonna be some more cup holders for the rear passengers and MAYBE a 12v outlet. I will take video tomorrow of what Ive done (still no regular camera) and hopefully have something up so you guys can see what Ive been talking about.
Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

Sorry it took so long to get some form of picture. Heres a video. :P

The vid showing the soaked carpet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ANIxJvD9QM

And the vid showing the tear down and the new additions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CEVhjK0A8M
neddflanderz
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 4wd 6-speed

Post by neddflanderz »

nice vid. I'm looking forward to seeing it with all of your custom additions finished.
1984 Tercel SR5 4wd 6-speed
2004 Corolla
1995 Chevy Astro passenger van
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The easy air horns are the Italian made with no tank...loud...have had a set that were used and in a used car...that have lasted for 20 yrs or so after I've owned them

Bought another set that have a "big car" tone instead of the higher type.

Main thing is where you install the horns...you want them in open air...pointed down to some extent (and not forward) to avoid water/snow...you want them to reflect off the pavement...best place is center front?

An issue with removing all that fiber stuff...is increased road noise? What I did was to soak this stuff with used motor oil on the drivers side...keeps a layer of oil next to the metal floor. Crude (a pun)....but effective. Think I have a leak where the antenna grommet comes in.

You are very ambitious. Ought to work out pretty well...but I'd be afraid of bumping my elbows on stuff.

I removed the back seats and put in a hinged platform...lost around 50 lbs and gained a lot of storage room for heavy stuff.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

takza wrote:The easy air horns are the Italian made with no tank...loud...have had a set that were used and in a used car...that have lasted for 20 yrs or so after I've owned them

Bought another set that have a "big car" tone instead of the higher type.

Main thing is where you install the horns...you want them in open air...pointed down to some extent (and not forward) to avoid water/snow...you want them to reflect off the pavement...best place is center front?
I had these horns on my ramcharger before and they are LOUD! I believe they came off a transfer truck. The horns are going right behind the radiator in the engine bay. Its the only place where theres any room.
takza wrote:An issue with removing all that fiber stuff...is increased road noise? What I did was to soak this stuff with used motor oil on the drivers side...keeps a layer of oil next to the metal floor. Crude (a pun)....but effective. Think I have a leak where the antenna grommet comes in.
lol thats is "crude" but effective. Im not so worried about the little bit of oil left in the passenger rear foot well now. Im not really concerned about an increase in road noise. I Did the same thing in my Ramcharger and yeah it was a little louder, but thats why the radio has a volume knob. :P
takza wrote:You are very ambitious. Ought to work out pretty well...but I'd be afraid of bumping my elbows on stuff.
Thanks, and my friends say all I do is sit around all day. HA! This is far from it. Im gonna leave the center console un covered for a while so i can get the hang of it. Its also gonna be padded. But if I hit my elbows too much Ill cut it down.
takza wrote:I removed the back seats and put in a hinged platform...lost around 50 lbs and gained a lot of storage room for heavy stuff.
Dude...I would LOVE to see a picture of that! Please? I had that plan after reading how some guy did that in his "shadowfast mustang". That car had more tricks than james bond himself. lol. But yeah, Would LOVE to see a picture of your setup.

On a side note. I found some plywood today and Im about halfway through the center console. :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

As far as the platform...nobody else has been interested...and it would take me half day to clean up all the crap under there and take some pics. I will say it has held up well...with my sleeping on it and a dog or two jumping around on it. Fairly simple in design...2-3 hinges at the back...and three support legs made from 2x4s that sit on the rail at the front of where the rear seat was. Made from wafer board. Need to trim the ends to miss the back door inside arm rests and the window glass when lifted up. A lot of room under there...good for tools and heavy stuff.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Tercel_jon
Advanced Member

Post by Tercel_jon »

Well, it definitely sounds simple and tough. I might use a variation of your platform later on. Ill extend mine almost to the front seats and have little cubbys like an 80's rx7. Dont know how thats gonna tie in with the rear cargo platform/speakerbox, but Ill figure it out later when I have $$$ for the materials. Im doing all this stuff right now with just scraps from my aunts upholstery business and some garbage picked angle iron from behind walmart.