Diesel swap and restoration progress

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Diesel swap and restoration progress

Post by Petros »

The 4afe clutch is a little larger in dia, but they are totally different design. The 4afe flywheel is like a frying pan, high edges where the pressure plate assy bolts on, and the disk rides down in the "bottom" of the frying pan. It would be a very costly custom flywheel to make the 4afe clutch work. If it were me I would just get a custom built performance Tercel clutch and adapt the stock flywheel to work on the diesel engine. The stock clutch is actually pretty durable in itself.

best deal on custom Tercel clutch I have seen is at: http://cabrera.stores.yahoo.net/

Better known SPEC also makes performance clutch at a higher cost: http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Toyota/T ... 984/Single
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

OK im about fed up with the VW plan, and i think Splatterdog has a very valid point about the cost affectiveness of staying with toyota...so i just sent an email to the same company where i bought my spare tranny from about a toyota 2C-T engine.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Ok so now im trying to gather more info about the 2C-T. Iv been reading different opinions here and there about how it will or wont bolt in...from my reasoning it will, but cant be sure until i get measurements or just buy the damn thing and try...according to this chart, the 2C, 4AFE, 4AGE and several others were all available in the jap version of the corolla: http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toy ... la/1992_5/ ...and the 4AFE swaps into our cars fine..right? so that must mean they are all interchangeable...right?? also, after watching THIS video several times (video was made by the company iv been communicating with, of the last 2ct which sold a while ago wich i should have snapped up but hesitated on), it looks to me like the bellhousing bolts are all in the same place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acc48RR_ ... =1&index=9

do any of you have any first hand experience with the 2C-T or know for a fact that it will indeed bolt in with no mods? also an update, i contacted the main importer who iv delt with before and they dont currently have one...but MAY by mid September...also called several other JDM importers and they had nothing and also didnt expect to get any, or didnt know what i was talking about at all...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It is hard to tell from the video, but I would say the bell housing bolts appear to be in the same location as the 3ac. The 4afe and 4age have the same bolt pattern as the 3ac, so presuming they do not have a differnt belling housing (or even different trans all together), it should have the same bolt pattern. I wonder if you can send him a card board template of the rear bolt pattern and ask them to check the fit for you. Or even the metal backer plate. Are they too far to go check for your self?
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

The engine will be in California (assuming there will be one available again soon) and im in PA, so no i cant go look at it myself unfortunately...so that is a good idea to send him a template. I may do that if the guy agrees to it...I already asked if he could take the transmission off of the 2C (FWD, non turbo, not what i want) engine they DO have and take a picture of the bolt pattern and some measurements (distance between starter bolts, top/side bolts, flywheel diameter), but never got a straight answer..frankly he seems rather incompetent...but he did say he will notify me when they get another 2C-T, and il ask again for pictures and measurements when that time comes.

if you look around on the cars-directory site, it looks like the tercel may have come with a stock 1.5L diesel engine (1N/1N-T?)in europe/japan. wikipedia also mentions this on the very bottom of the tercel page. can anybody verify this?

did the sedan versions of our cars from the same generation have the same longitudinal engine, FWD layout?

dont the 4AGE and FE have larger flywheels that wont fit into our bellhousing? this is probably another factor with the 2C...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The sedan versions of our cars DID have the same N-S engine/trans orientation. The sedans went to the E-W placement in '87 for their Gen III. Gen I sedans had the N-S as well.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You will have to swap flywheels most likely, the flywheel fits the trans installation. Hopefully you will not have to do any drilling or cutting of the flywheel to make it bolt onto the back of the crank for the new engine. It would be interesting to know if the Tercel diesel installation used a different transmission and clutch, if the ratios are the same, etc. I would guess at the least the final drive ratio was different, unless they produced them in such small numbers they did not bother changing the ring and pinion.

You know, if you are just looking for an alternative fuel engine, it would be easier to just take a gasoline engine and convert it to run on propane. It is not that difficult of a conversion, with 115 octane rating you can rebuild the engine, strip out all the emissions junk (propane powered cars do not need them), and run 13.5:1 compression ratio, wide opwn 2.5 inch exhaust (no cataleptic converter).

You would get a little bit less fuel economy with propane, but it costs less, and in most states including mine, they tax except alternative fuel vehicles.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mentioning propane, I think Mattel (and possibly others in OZ) have dual-fuel T4WDs. It must be fairly common down thataway.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Id rather stick with diesel. i like the idea or running on bio-D or WVO/WMO...and i like the sound and the smoke... either that or fully electric, but thats way out of my budget at this point.

If i have to have a custom flywheel made thats still cheaper than that AND an adapter plate AND a custom oil pan AND custom engine mounts... but hopefully i will be able to just mix and match similar flywheels from other toyotas...

does anybody know for sure if the T4 actually came with a stock diesel in japan or Europe? im going to email the importer again and ask him that also...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Here is a link to a TN thread from 5 years ago:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t101036.html
Also some youtube videos:
http://www.google.com/#q=toyota+tercel+ ... 59d5d079d0
I don't think the T4WD ever came with one, but...?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
davep1968
My tercel:: 86 SR5

Post by davep1968 »

Hi, I have been absent for a while but logged in tonight. I have an LPG (propane) powered Tercel for my run around. Awesome car, top mileage on gas.
Balanced on the biggest wave, you race towards an early grave.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

What kind of fuel economy does it get on propane?

Looks like the Toyota 1N-T diesel engine is the one you want, it is a 1.5 turbo diesel engine w/66 hp and 96 ft-lb peak torque at 2600 rpm! way better than the 3ac, and 50 mpg as well. It should bolt right into the Tercel, same mounts and bolt pattern. You will have to mess with the fuel system a bit, and the coolant lines and starter cables have to be longer according to one conversion I read about. They use the older mechanical injection, so there is no ECM to mess with, it should be a fairly easy conversion if you can fine one.

Now finding one of those in the US is going to be the interesting part. If we can find a sours of those engines I might consider getting one for one of my Tercels, more power AND better economy, what is not to like about that?
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

what artical did you read about the 1NT? I contacted the gentleman who did this write up about swapping one into a newer tercel: https://sites.google.com/a/toyotadiesel ... guide/home , and he told me the bolt patterns are all different...i also had sent him a photo of the T4WDs tranny to look at...he suggested the C series would be best..

so far i havent managed to find any conclusive info about any of them...nobody answers my questions in full and i cant find any pictures or measurements for any of the prospect engines... so plan D or E at this point, is im just going to wait for a 2CT to come back in stock from my importer...then demand some pictures and mesurements...and if they dont cooperate with that i guess il just buy the damn thing anyway and find out for myself...and then sell it for somebody to put in a toyota truck or something if it doesnt fit...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I wonder if you can make a few phone calls to Toyota USA, and see if you can find a technical rep who takes an interest in your swap, who can get that information for you from their data base. I thought I read that the 1NT is a direct bolt in for the 3EE engine, which uses the same short block as the 3ac AFAIK.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

IDK...i have a feeling that both the 2C-T or the 1N-T would fit OK...but i read or was told that the later tercels with E series engines had a completely different bolt pattern...but looking at these 2 pictures makes me think otherwise...but it looks like the starter is on the wrong side..if that even matters. the one picture is of our 4wd tranny and the other is that of a newer fwd tercel that the 1NT is supposedly compatable with. i think i will hunt down a phone number and make that call to toyota tomorrow. in the meantime see what you think of the pics.

and also, if both the 2C-T and the 1N-T fit, wich do you think would be better? i was leaning towrds the larger 2c considering that i plan to have dual alternators and a large power draw (big stereo, inverter, onboard computer, fuel/injector line heaters/extra hot glow plugs for WVO) as well as AC and power steering etc...but i really do want the best mileage i can get, and i like the utility of having the smaller engine and no risk of overloading the tranny. I plan to add an intercooler to either one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+