Diesel swap and restoration progress

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Diesel swap and restoration progress

Post by ARCHINSTL »

What - no Yugo Club?
As Inspector Renault told Rick - "I'm shocked, just shocked!"
Tom M.

P.S. Sorry - I just could not resist... ;)
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

man, that is the biggest bummer. it sucks when you have a project that you're psyched on but you run into problems along the way, but even more so when those problems include waiting months for parts that someone f-ed up! sorry bud. maybe you can get some sort of discount out of this.
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Sorry to hear about your engine shipping problems.
I could see some translation issues, however, as that email you posted from Soshin is full of misspelled words and bad grammar. If he is the one ordering the engines from Japan, I could see how someone there might send the wrong engine/tranny, if you know what I mean. Ever read instructions for toys/model airplanes, tools, etc., that were translated badly into English from Japanese or Chinese? MAybe that happened in reverse...
That Yugo might make a nice lawn ornament or garden sculpture. Or a lamp.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Yeah i see how that could happen...luckily im very patient...

as for the yugo, im pretty confident it will be a nice runner after it gets the fuel pump it needs. alltho...i have thought a car made into a BBQ grill would be pretty cool...like take the engine out and put a metal tray in for charcoal under the hood and cook on that and use the hood for a lid...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

CathodeRayTube wrote:Yeah i see how that could happen...luckily im very patient...

as for the yugo, im pretty confident it will be a nice runner after it gets the fuel pump it needs. alltho...i have thought a car made into a BBQ grill would be pretty cool...like take the engine out and put a metal tray in for charcoal under the hood and cook on that and use the hood for a lid...

There's a rusted out Isetta down the street that I wanna do just that to. It's already DOT approved with a Lic plate. I've always wanted a BIG BBQ. But how to move it..add a tow hitch.. Problem solved.

I go with your intention of keeping it on the road. Very Eclectic!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

The 1N-T Diesel engine is FINALLY on shore and ready to ship out from California. Unfortunately...my father has the VW rabbit torn apart for a water pump replacement in the main garage bay...so i have to wait for that to be finished before i have a place to put the engine and resume work on MegaTerc (the decided name for the diesel project).
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Can't wait to see what it's gonna look like in a tercel!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

THE 1N-T is here. However...there are of course more issues...none of them will really hold the project up anymore than it already has been...but are just annoying...The engine is largely OK...however it seems to have been dropped right onto the AC compressor, and the mounting bracket is bent and the pulleys cock-eyed...there is a big dent in the oil pan where it appears to have been jammed with a fork lift, and some other little boo-boos...the only one that i particularly care about is a smashed vacuum actuator thingy on the injector pump..wich appears to be important. So i am demanding that the company replace that specific part, as well as refund the entire cost of the shipping, because at this point, the service has been totally un acceptable.

The engine appears as if it will bolt to the trans fine. Alltho thats the only easy part it looks like...and im not totally sure because i havent actually un packed the engine from its pallet yet or begun work on the project again as i have other things on my plate (the VW rabbit timing belt change finally got done and was a success, so its out of the barn...and now the 2nd Tercel is in its place..i had to move the paint project inside due to inclement weather). The oil pan looks like it wont clear the front crossmember (this is why i dont care about the fucked up pan as im going to have to have a custom one made anyway, or perhaps the 3As will fit..) The starter may or may not fit...if it doesnt, il be going with a belt-starter system wich should be relatively simple and not that horribly expensive, either a larger alternator wired up as a 3-phase motor with a controller...or an actual BAS system from a Saturn Vue hybrid or similar GM vehicle...(both of these will allow for starting, and electric-boost). The flywheel/clutch should all match up fine as i did measure the 3As and compared it to pictures from somebody else who has a 1N-T, who was gracious enough to send my pictures of it.

But this project will be on hold until i get the 2nd Automatic T4 painted completely...i am currently still wet-sanding primer...Then i also need to bring the Yugo in for planned winter upgrades...and flush the trans fluid in the 4runner...and...and...*BANG*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

oh man, i'm so excited for you! that sucks hard about the damage though, and i think you are right to demand replacement of the part and a refund on the shipping cost. i think paying full price for piss poor service is one step away from theft. i honestly don't believe you'll get a full refund but they will hopefully give you a partial one. the stories you've had so far about getting this engine have been abysmal so you deserve it.

good luck, keep it up!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
tobiastercel
My tercel:: Earnestly Scouting

Post by tobiastercel »

man oh man...
I can't wait to see how this project turns out.
so stoked for you
jamiec

Post by jamiec »

Very interesting project have you made any more progress on it?

Cheers Jamie
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Still waiting for replacement parts for what was damaged in shipping...i have been in contact with Jesus of STC in California numerous times, he informed me that they had to order yet another of the same engine in order to remove parts from it and send them to me...once the donor engine gets to CA, wich should have happened this week, they will be removing the oil pan, main crank pulley, AC bracket and the one vacuum actuator from the injector pump and be sending them to me free of charge... I have been keeping myself occupied with the other car projects. The Yugo now has A/C and a nice stereo, and the Automatic T4 is almost ready to go on the road and replace the Corolla wagon as my primary daily driver.

Im sure this will be finished before death...may have it RUNNING and all mechanical basics complete by this coming fall...giving up is not an option and there will be an amazing restored, diesel powered tercel wagon in existence in time. alltho my original goal was to have this completed by my 21st birthday...my 23rd is coming up in May..
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

CathodeRayTube wrote:alltho my original goal was to have this completed by my 21st birthday...my 23rd is coming up in May..
my favourite saying that i have learned while wrenching in the last several years is "nothing goes smoothly."
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

dlb wrote:
CathodeRayTube wrote:alltho my original goal was to have this completed by my 21st birthday...my 23rd is coming up in May..
my favourite saying that i have learned while wrenching in the last several years is "nothing goes smoothly."

Ditto on what DLB said!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)