Diesel swap and restoration progress

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Diesel swap and restoration progress

Post by SynthDesign »

Good choice on the 2C-T engine. They are very reliable and have a bit of grunt in them above 3,400 rpm. These have been the top choice for 4runner bio conversions around the Pacific North West.

Biggest problem is lack of support from Toyota USA. Gasket kits and parts can be a bit of pain to procure. Toyota Canada DOES sell service parts for them.

If I remember correctly, the 2C-T use the same bolt pattern as the T series engines and R series engines( 2T-C, 3T-C, 18R-C,20R-C and 22R-C/E)
I think they also use a 6 bolt flywheel which might make it easier to install with a bell housing adapter(if needed).

Best of luck with your project and keep us informed.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I thought they had the same bolt pattern as the 3a/4a/4afe/4age...if it doesnt i guess im going to be f*cked...but i do own a 1994 4runner also...so maybe if it doesnt fit in the tercel it will fit in that...i HOPE it fits in the tercel...but il know soon enough...

PS it looks like i can order alot of parts from rockauto when i check the jap market boxes...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Let's hope I'm wrong.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

OK, the 2C-T arrived today...and in a nutshell, it wont fit and its back to the drawing board... The bolt pattern is SIMILAR to the 3As...but not similar enough.

Distance between 2 top mounting bolts: 3A: 4.5" , 2C-T: 4.5"
Distance between 2 mid/bottom bolts: 3A: 12" , 2C-T: 13"
Flywheel diameter/bolt pattern: 3A: 9 & 7/8" 6-bolt , 2C-T: 12" 8-bolt.

Had i known these simple measurements beforehand it would have saved me allot of trouble...but theres not really any way of knowing without seeing for yourself. Im thinking the next step for this project is to decide what to do with the 2C-T either sell it or see if it would fit in the 4runner. Then i guess im going to order a 1N-T and see if that will fit, then if that doesn't fit, then its either back to the original plan of adapting the VW engine in or going electric...

What i dont understand is if the 2C was an option in the COROLLA and it fit in that, wich also had the 4A/4AFE, wich DOES fit in our cars, then why didnt this match up...

The project is going to take longer than expected...im going to go make a burrito... :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Just a SWAG - maybe the Corolla diesel had a different trans to cope with increased torque?
Did you ever get a weight on this?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is a massive flywheel, must need it for the lower speed and high torque. That is also why they many have used a different trans. Does anyone know what diff ratio was used on the diesel corollas?

I would not give up just yet. You can take a stock 3a flywheel and alter it to fit that engine (see the thread on the 4age swap, you have the bolt holes welded up, and the new hole machined-about $200 in a good machine shop). With some welding and machining on the block you can likely make the Tercel trans bell housing bolt up to that engine too.

The stock 3a flywheel in the Tercel4wd weights some 19 lbs, so it might work just fine. You have to verify that stack-up for the clutch is in the same location when the two are bolted together (check the end clearance from the bolt up surface on the block to the end of the crank with a large straight edge on both engines).

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I'm sorry I suggested a "compatable" Toyota engine! :(

It is very similar with only 4 bell housing bolts.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

How hard would it be to make a bell housing adapter and alter a T4wd flywheel to 8 bolt?

Such a beautiful motor,... I hope it works out somehow.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

This isnt the end of the world...im sure there is somebody with a T-100 that would love and actually be able to use this around here. iv already put a feeler ad on craigslist...Im going to do some research tomorrow and see if it will fit in my 4runner...if it does il just stash it, if it doesnt im going to just sell it, and go ahead and order the 1N-T...and then if its the same case with that, look back into the VW engine and see wich would be easier to modify into it...Im going to exhaust all the possibilities for a perfect bolt-in replacement before i go into custom flywheels/adapters etc..
You have to verify that stack-up for the clutch is in the same location when the two are bolted together
I believe i understand what your saying..but not quite sure. i did look again, and it looks like i would need a special adapter plate to move all 4 bolt locations because the shafts wont line up if i just bolt the 2 top bolts together that do line up...the shaft is about an inch or so further away from the bolts than it is on the T4 tranny/3A.

I dont regret any of this. Im paving the way for anybody else to repeat this project and i have the time/money/patience and somewhat of the space to throw into this currently...and i am hell bent on winding up with a diesel T4wd eventually.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Mmkay...so apparently a 1N-T will swap into a newer tercel with a 3E or 5EFE engine...this has been proven by this: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304111/1 ... rton-wa-us . But does anybody know if the 3E or 5EFE is interchangeable with our older trans? if it is then the 1N-T must be also...

i may have to go a junkyard and pull a bell housing from a 90s tercel to compare and figure this out...

theres just not much information around...i called toyota today and they were of no help whatsoever...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am reasonably certain the 3E engine used the same short block as the 3A engine (they have a very different head 12-valve). So it should bolt up. I thought the 5EFE was different from the 3 series engine.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I think im just going to go ahead and buy the 1N-T then also...that and the 2C were the only real options. so il have both possibilities...and then whatever doesnt work out il just sell or put into another car later.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

change all your cars over to diesel and you can run them all on french fry oil, and not have to buy fuel at all.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Thats actually what i plan to do eventually. All of my vehicles will be either diesel or fully electric. This tercel is first in a long list of vehicles i plan to fix up/convert/pimp over the coarse of my life..
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Um.. never played with a 3E, 5E or the likes.. Not sure if they carry the same mounting pattern as the A series engines, but I bet you're gonna find out!

Let us know what you come up with. I figure it the mounting was the same someone would of done a swap already but I can't seem to find much info, so it seems more likely that it just wasn't contemplation and documented either way.

It would be nice if there was some sort of reference list somewhere. This engine share bolting pattern with these transmissions.......And so forth
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)