Cold Starting weber 32/36

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
artictercel
My tercel:: 85 SR5 Wagon

Cold Starting weber 32/36

Post by artictercel »

Hi,

Im a little new here and my 84 Tercel is going to be getting a new carb soon and I was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a Tercel with an aftermarket carb on it like the Weber 32/36. I live in Fairbanks AK and we get some wicked cold winters -40C and I was wonder how they started in the extreme cold. My stock carb did ok as long as the block, oil and battery heaters were working. Anyone have experience with the weber in sub zero temps?

Ill probably get a manual choke so I can control that with a little more precision.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Cold Starting weber 32/36

Post by takza »

I'll say that with my OEM carb...the auto choke started worked flawlessly...the manual choke I replaced it with is very sensitive to plate position vs the outside temps.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

It was hitting 9 F here and my Tercel with a Weber started every time no problem. Not quite -40, but the weber works fine in the cold, especially if things are already warm.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

We recently had some 0 degree weather in STL - it is my experience that the Weber is not that prone to start immediately when cold - whether 0 degrees or +20 degrees. It's not a bear, but takes a jab to set the fast idle, then two false starts and finally kicks in on the third (invariably). I don't drive this but every other day or so, so maybe that has something to do with it.
The "performance" until completely warm has stumbles - I have been running the Redline short filter, and have wondered if somehow adapting a tube from the OE manifold hot air outlet to around the filter might make a difference (and if blocking the filter save for this hot air access would be harmful in any way when the car is warm...?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you could rig a manual flap on the heat riser to the weber air filter. You get cold air off the heat riser on start up anyway, after the exhaust warms up you get the warmer intake air thru the heat riser. The warmer air might be required to get better fuel atomization, when really cold you could flip a manual lever (or rig it like a manual choke cable), and if not so cold adjust the flap to draw in unheated air. Just like the old aircraft carbs, you have a carb heat control knob.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
artictercel
My tercel:: 85 SR5 Wagon

Post by artictercel »

carb heat

This is an interesting concept. Ill have to look into this a bit. So the flap would be full open at start up so when its available warm air would be pulled into the aircleaner and then once normal engine temperatures are reached it could be closed?

I think it will be fine down to 0 or so... but the extreme temperatures have me a little worried.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That is the function of the HAI* flap in the OE aircleaner snorkel. I saved my entire OE setup, of course, and have been mulling ways to adapt this (or the OE cleaner) to the Weber - no luck yet.
* EC43-46 in the FSM.

Mentioning carb heat - this is also the function of the phenolic plate* under the carb. I left mine in situ, as it seemed a good idea (and you have to modify the Redline adapter if not used). Now, I did test it, and juice is getting to it.
Does it work? Who knows if it has any real effect? Also, I am presuming it works, as it is controlled by the ECU - does IT work?
* EC61-62.

Heat is also supposed to be supplied by the spring-loaded heat control valve* - if it is not rusted to immovability.
* EC60.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain