custum exhaust

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

custum exhaust

Post by blade »

Hi everyone i was wouldering if anyony has done a totaly custum exhaust for these cars?
Im going to start making one for my car. so the plans for the exhaust ar to remove the cat, muffler and go strate from the exhaust maniflud down a little to a y and take the two pipes on eather side of the drive shaft and come out on both sides befor the back tires i will have pics to show you where it is hopefully going to go soon.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: custum exhaust

Post by ARCHINSTL »

No mufflers? That will be neat for several minutes.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

ya i hope to have no mufflers but if i need them i will get some.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

i can run without mufflers right?? i hope so . i have seen so many people run with out them but the best part is the dual exhaust i want to do. :D
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Had a loud exhaust on my Celica, got fed up with it after a couple years. The difference between the loud exhaust and a quiet exhaust was a horsepower *gain* and a much more comfortable ride...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

An improperly proportioned exhaust system will not produce the best power. There are useful harmonics that are lost with improperly sized systems, even an open pipe can have less power output that a properly sized one. Do a little home work and you will end up with a better system, and not waste your time with a poorly functioning system that does not produced good power or economy, and just makes a lot of noise.

This web site has a work sheet for properly sizing a custom system:

http://www.mkracing.com.ar/archive/esca ... ength.html

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Aside from the back pressure issue (which is huge) there is also the question of where would you run the pipes?
The stock side has enough room but the other side would be extremely difficult to plumb. You will need, at bare minimum, 1/2in around the pipe in all directions to make sure you don't have any unwanted exhaust-frame contact. Once over the rear axle, then what? There is a gas tank in the way. The proper side has a nice heat shield to protect the tank from exhaust heat. You want to run straight hot pipes front to back
(convertors and mufflers take a lot of heat out the system, that is why they are shielded) a straight pipe back to the rear bumper would likely melt the bumper unless you extend your tailpipe way past the bumper, which really wouldn't make much sense?
Having had loud cars, while cool in the short-term, they can be a real slog on trips.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Petros is right! Backpressure will also be dramatically reduced is what my T-TEN assistant teacher told me! :)
K-Business
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a properly tuned exhaust system can actually have lower back pressure than an open pipe that is not tuned. The harmonics can produce lower back pressure (and more hp) in the exhaust manifold if the system is designed well.

There is an ignorant myth running around that some cars make more hp with backpressure, because they compared an open pipe exhaust (assuming it has lower back pressure), with a longer smaller dia system (that was properly tuned). The lower the back pressure the more hp you produce, but a longer and smaller dia system might produce less back pressure than a large and short open pipe, because of proper tuning, taking advantage of the harmonics.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

wow there is so much for me to do befor i even start weell i wil be making a lot of phone call and takeing lots of pics caant wait to hear it when its done. thanks for all of the info.

calvin.
red91sit
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Base

Post by red91sit »

Petros wrote:a properly tuned exhaust system can actually have lower back pressure than an open pipe that is not tuned. The harmonics can produce lower back pressure (and more hp) in the exhaust manifold if the system is designed well.

There is an ignorant myth running around that some cars make more hp with backpressure, because they compared an open pipe exhaust (assuming it has lower back pressure), with a longer smaller dia system (that was properly tuned). The lower the back pressure the more hp you produce, but a longer and smaller dia system might produce less back pressure than a large and short open pipe, because of proper tuning, taking advantage of the harmonics.
Indeed.. just like two-strokes, you want to maximize the scavenging effect caused by exhaust waves. :-)

Also, you are NOT going to hurt the engine by not having enough back pressure. The only problems caused by this would be incorrect carb. tuning related.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

ok i have not gotten to far. but i know there is three places that will do my exhaust but is is a lot more than i thought like $1000 more the cheapist one was $1,858 so i wont be doing it right now. but my big problem is that my muffler fell of because the pipe roted threw. so my question is if i cut the exhaust pipe befor the rearend and put one out by the the drivers rear tire
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Try this?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=177

This setup been going for over 5 years...have replaced a glasspack and a rusted clamp.

Check the condition of the converter...exit pipe still solid? Down pipe solid? Buy the ss flexpipe to clamp on it...run it back to a glasspack or other muffler? Later if you need to replace the down pipe and converter you can still use the same ss tubing and muffler.

If you have an original converter...it's worth around $150 for the platinum in it...don't give it away. In fact...you could sell the converter and almost put on a complete new system.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

takza wrote:Try this?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=177

This setup been going for over 5 years...have replaced a glasspack and a rusted clamp.

Check the condition of the converter...exit pipe still solid? Down pipe solid? Buy the ss flexpipe to clamp on it...run it back to a glasspack or other muffler? Later if you need to replace the down pipe and converter you can still use the same ss tubing and muffler.

If you have an original converter...it's worth around $150 for the platinum in it...don't give it away. In fact...you could sell the converter and almost put on a complete new system.
well takza my exhaust has rotted to just be for the rear end and i need to remove it.
blade
Top Notch Member

Post by blade »

well i have gotten to the junk yard and replaced the rear section of exhaust and now have a no muffler exhaust system and dam is it nice more power same fuel economy and very nice sound.