Tercel 4wding stories?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Juando
Advanced Member

Post by Juando »

I never actually cracked it open..I just replaced the tranny. with what I was told was another 6 speed....but I never checked..until 5 months later I tried using extra low....damnit! I was trying to torque a heavy trailer up someones driveway and I was just burning clutch...realized it wasn't in EL because there was none, but it was too late to make the wrecking yard take it back or make good on it. suck
them: so you're telling me your tercel has 1.5 liters...where as my pepsi has two?

me: yes, can you seat 5 people in your pepsi...and does it have 4WD? oh...my bad
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

After hitting that rock, my steering felt different and I knew something was bent. After inspecting it today, I couldn't find anything obviously wrong but it looks like the crossmember could be bent, which would affect the toe and the vertical angle that the tie rods are pushing and pulling at between the steering rack and the steering knuckle. It may also affect camber because the support rods go from the crossmember to the frame right by the control arm bushings. I was looking at the suspension trying to imagine a design for a control arm longitudinal support or a new control arm of the triangular support type. It is definitely doable, the next thing I have to do is take some measurements of the mounting points on the frame so I can design it. It would make a huge difference to our cars' handling.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Juando, I think you have a 6 speed but your extra low is screwed. All 4WD manual transmissions have extra low and it's located behind the gearcase in the transfer adaptor. You could have a 5 speed with the transfer adaptor because the gearcase is the same, but in that case your 4WD wouldn't work either.