help, more hp for an automatic

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

help, more hp for an automatic

Post by warbstrd »

opinons for more hp for my automatic, and Im not going to a stick.
15 seconds to get up to 55mph didnt bother me, but now it does. (I counted mississippi's not actual stop watch)
Its an 84. I have an 85 parts car w/manual trans.
going with 14 inch rims and bigger tires. can I swap the 4.11 gears from the manual transmission to the automatic? And will that help?
Will the weber help that much with the 3ac automatic? Or should I go with a 4ac and weber setup.

My engine is not dead or dying. Im just tired of having to jump in traffic and making people behind me slow down.
I am sticking with a carburator, no EFI.

So basically, change gear ratios to 4.11, change to 4ac, and put a weber on. anyone done this with the automatic transmission? And were you able to get to 55mph in less than 15 mississippi's ?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: help, more hp for an automatic

Post by xirdneh »

if you have the 4wd model you will need a rear differential too.

for all that you would have to tear apart to do what your planning
you might just as well go to a manual tranny

what mileage are you getting with the automatic?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

I have a manual that i can put back together with liitle problems. I'm old and knees not so good anymore.
27mpg combined city/highway. all highway 34mpg.
So my engine is in good shape....just turned 100,000 miles,. three years ago it had 60,000 miles.
just want more power. Not neck jerking power, just wanted to know if anyone with an automatic changed these things and did it improve it much.
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

It makes sense to me that the 4a would help the automatic because of the torque improvement from the larger displacement but I have no experience with automatics - just a gut feeling. When I went to a 4a the car could suddenly hold 4th gear going over the mountain passes. If you want more power the easiest thing might be to bolt in a reground camshaft that gives the 3a more power. The cam may require a weber and and free-flow exhaust to give the best result. And you would probably sacrifice some low rpm smoothness and drivability with the cam.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I haven't driven a stock Tercel, but I've got a Weber in mine and it'll hit 60 before the end of on ramps... It's no race car, but I bet she'll hit 60 in 13 seconds or so... Driving around town is fantastic on just the primaries, the secondaries don't do much besides make lots of noise and waste gas.
offroadohio
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4wd

Post by offroadohio »

My tercel is completely stock will get to 55-60 with out any problem and will still get up and go 90+mph if I want it to, ive neve rpushed it farther than that but I'll bet it would go.
Last edited by offroadohio on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

weber and 4.11 gears and 4ac. thats what i will do.

I was lookng at a Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker. Lots of mods with those, the ARB air locker is the main mod i liked.

When swapping engines, does it matter if the donor was in a manual? and do i have to find a donor auto transmission for the 4.11 gears?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Anything that gives you more power will help, be it auto or manual trans. You should also consider a Delta Cams (Tacoma WA) regrind, they are only about $60 exchange and an easy swap.

You might also consider a 2" or lager exhaust system, especial if you need to replace it anyway. You should be able to do both of these for less than installing a weber, if you feel you need more power after the cam and exhaust system, than go for the weber.

I would do the other things before I did a diff ratio swap, that is a big job and could be costly depending on where you find the new diff. Also, try to find out what the auto trans uses for diff ratio, it might be different than the manual trans.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

4ac with delta cam, weber, and 2 inch exhaust with a free flow cat.

according to Automotix the part number for my 84 trans is the same as an 88...hmmmm. I thought they were different.

thanks.

first to get my 25x48 garage built then start modding.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The diff ratio for the 1985 T4WD automatic is 3.909:1. I've done some limited driving on my automatic, and besides my car is not running right, seems like it has a small bit of punch on take off but needs more oomph. You may want to mill the head a bit on the 4A to raise the compression ratio a slight bit for better power as well. The auto T4WD's transmission seems to make smooth shifts though, I guess I'll have to wait until I get it running to start complaining of the power.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"