changing headlights to round (h6024) headlights?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
evan_dl2

changing headlights to round (h6024) headlights?

Post by evan_dl2 »

Anyone ever tried converting your headlights to the old round style? i think it would give it more of a unique look, is it easy enough to do? thoughts please
'85 'Cel SR5 6spd, a/c
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: changing headlights to round (h6024) headlights?

Post by Petros »

It could be done, but why? Just to get a different look? Those old round lights are becoming less common.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Petros wrote:could be done, but why?
evan_dl2 wrote:give it more of a unique look
Mystery solved.

I also love round hooters, but H6024s may be too big for T4wds. H5006s might fit better, they are not going out of production anytime soon, it's just a question of how to fabricate/mount them. I say go for it and be sure to post pics if you do it.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
evan_dl2

Post by evan_dl2 »

ya i dont see why they would become less common when there are still 60's-70's car enthusiasts who all need those style headlights, i see plenty of them with the h4 conversion on ebay. thanks danzo, if i am indeed the first i will definately let you guys know how it goes, ya the h5006 are probly the ones im thinkin of
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Something that would be totally awesome (and unique) would be a set of Hella projectors:
http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_90mm_H ... dules.aspx
I put together a custom setup in my Celica and they're *amazing* in terms of light output and beam control. Plus they fit fairly well in the space of a standard 6054 sealed beam.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what I would do is go to a wrecking yard and find the kind of round headlights you like, and buy the mounting system. Than you can find a way to make it fit in the Tercel headlight locations. It would be much easier to adapt an existing system than make it all from scratch. Pick a common car to get the headlights from if possible, that way you can get parts later if you need them.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
evan_dl2

Post by evan_dl2 »

alright ya im thinkin a chev truck or somethin if they take the right size i want, you see those trucks everywhere still so hopefully easy enough to find everything i need
'85 'Cel SR5 6spd, a/c
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

evan - if you want the smaller round headlights, e30 chassis ('84 through '91) 3 series BMWs had a pair of H5006s on each side. Each pair are mounted in one housing (with aim adjusters) that bolt vertically to the frame. I'm thinking you could hacksaw/dremel one pair in half for your mod. The early cars, through '86 I believe, had metal housings whereas the later cars had plastic ones. Readily available in any j-yard.

The only problem this may present is that the H5006 sealed beams are either low or high beam. You can get around this by fitting clear fog lights (called driving lights?) from a late '70's/early '80's Mercedes, though they can be tough to find. These have removeable bulbs, bolt directly into the BMW housings, and I'm pretty sure you can get a twin filament bulb for it. Google "Daniel Stern Lighting" for a nauseating amount of lighting info.

If you really want a demonic look you can get yellow foglights from the above-mentioned Benz. I replaced the high beam units on my '84 325i with these but I run them with the 55 watt low beam bulbs as opposed to the 100 watt bulbs. This way I can see better all the time (don't blind on coming drivers) and they also look cool I think. The only drawback is that I don't have highbeams, but I just slap in the sealed beam 100 watters on inspection day. Damn I love round headlights.

Goood luck and keep us posted. BTW Petros I apologize for my sarcasm a few posts back, musta been the Hamms talking.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.