Looking at a 1991 Toyota Corolla GTS 4A-GE to put into my 88

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
edt77

Looking at a 1991 Toyota Corolla GTS 4A-GE to put into my 88

Post by edt77 »

So i have a neighbor who has a 1991 Toyota Corolla GTS 4A-GE sitting in his front yard I have seen a few posts of people doing the swap but i think that is more than what i am looking to do at the moment... i still want to change the auto to a manual first...

What do you think he wants pennies on the dollar for the Corolla and its in great shape, is there anyone in/around southern oregon that would be willing to help with the swap i was thinking an ez wiring harness to fix the ecu but i am thinking it might be harder than that...flywheel...ect... It would be nice I would love to have efi and the few extra hp as well. decisions, decisions.

E
"You face forward or you face the possibility of shock and damage"
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Looking at a 1991 Toyota Corolla GTS 4A-GE to put into my 88

Post by teranfirbt »

Damn, if you were closer to the Corvallis/Albany area I'd be down for helping, but Jacksonville is a bit far...
If you have questions about EFI I can probably help though, I've got Megasquirt on my Celica and a fairly good knowledge of Toyota EFI.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Looking at a 1991 Toyota Corolla GTS 4A-GE to put into my 88

Post by Petros »

The '91 GTS has the transverse installation, not as easy to adapt to the Tercel4wd. It is a big job even without the FWD install of the later corollas. If you just want more power it would be far less costly and less work to do a performance rebuild of the 3ac (or get a slightly larger 4ac) wit the Weber carb than to adapt the 4age. You want the '87 or earlier Corolla GTS 4age engine to adapt to Tercel, and even then there is a lot of custom parts (see the thread on this topic), header, flywheel, wiring, etc. I am doing it now and I am not sure it is worth it for the sake of the EFI alone, I am doing it for a number of reasons, but I do like the EFI feature, but mostly I want more reliable power and a more modern engine design in my Tercel. All together, even doing most of the work myself, it is not an inexpensive project, I will end up with about $1500 or more into the swap (and the engine only cost me $300), not counting a new exhaust system or other non-engine related changes.

If the GTS is in good shape it would be a shame to steal the engine out of it and junk the rest of it since these are so rare. Go find a wrecked one to cannibalize for parts, it would be cheaper. If you want an easier project, get the GTS, clean it up and getting running good and you can sell it for $2500-$4000 depending on condition. That would give you plenty of money to customize your Tercel any way you want.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)