Junk from China?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Junk from China?

Post by takza »

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety ... -reca.html

Also need to watch carefully...the hose clamps you use...espec on coolant hoses. Had a supposedly good one fail on a gas tank filler hose...bought from an auto supply store...not a big deal there...but would have been bad news on a top or bottom rad hose. Might have overtightened it though...not a good move.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Junk from China?

Post by splatterdog »

A while back I got one of those hose clamp assortment boxes at harbor freight. Totally worthless. They would strip at the first sign of tension.

Keeping on top of which stuff is good or bad(foreign or domestic), is just going to keep getting tougher I'm afraid.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Interesting - it seems that someone here made a thread a few years ago about those defective radiator hose clamps. Or - it could have been on the Miata site referenced in Tool Talk.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

A friend has the Harbor Freight hose clamps, definitely junk....
I'm glad my Celica had metal valve stems from the factory, although occasionally I'll see a set of the GT-S rims that have rubber stems because of an idiot tire guy...
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think the dollar has dropped 15% in the last 6 months...so the cheap stuff from China might be be coming to an end...only good thing is that it forced prices down some on a lot of stuff....also the quality.

Cheap tires...valves stems...dog food...dry wall...toys....etc.

If you are really concerned about clamps...use the well known Am brand names...and hope they are still made here?

This site has a newsletter on consumer issues....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...