Taking Bets

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Taking Bets

Post by SynthDesign »

Not really...... but curious what everyone's thoughts are.

So my 83 SR5 Daily driver is just pushing over 242,012 miles. The motor and Trans are all original. The timing belt, oil and power steering pumps have never been replaced. I did the 3rd clutch for it when I got it. I also only serviced or replace the water pump, brakes all around and shocks all around and have driven it now for a little over 37,000 miles over the last 3 years.
EDIT
I forgot to mention I only payed $200.00 US. With a jump, I drove it home after sitting for 3 years.
EDIT

There is now no such thing a sure shift. No amount of finesse makes it better. 1st, 2nd and 4th make horrific thunks. At 3k rpm's in any gear there is a hum that is awful. Nothing below or above 3k though. I drive 38 miles a day just to got to work and am normally doing between 55 and 85 on the highway depending on traffic at 31mpg average.

So how long do you think it could last?
Any one have a trans make it to 300K w/o being overhauled?
250k or 265k seems more possible but maybe not?

The big bore block is done at the machine shop and a rebuilt trans is waiting already.
It's just a waiting game now. I'm trying to drive it gently but well see. AAA gona need a flatbed when it breaks. :)

So all you guys running 200k miles plus on your first(original trans) chime in.

I'm bet'n 254k. Hoping for 260k though.
Last edited by SynthDesign on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Re: Taking Bets

Post by terkill »

I, myself just picked up a 150k mile engine/trans nice parts car for $400 so I'm playing the waiting game too. Seeing as yours made it to 243k already and Im still at 182k, I have a long way to go.

Id have to say, 310k miles on the engine and 250k on the tranny, sounding like you described it, I would watch out. haha
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

My trans has about 250k on it and it works like new. I would add a good amount of an mos2 additive to help it last longer. It worked for me with a supra trans before, quieted it right down, no more whine.
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You are a good candidate to try Restore. Considering the problem of finding a good trans and getting it put in...and the cost of rebuilding one....what's not to like?

Google "cermet"...you can find much more expensive versions than Restore.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4305&p=31852&hilit=restore#p31852

using a cermet..can of Restore = $10:

"I drove my 1980 Accord from about 90,000 miles on. It was 12 years old when I bought it and ran until I drove it into the ground years later. I used Restore in the engine oil and got noticeable, dramatic improvements in horsepower and gas mileage. What I didn't expect was to have Restore save my manual transmission... Somewhere around 100k, the 5-speed manual transmission started making a horrible low-pitched grinding noise whenever it was in gear. The noise was loud and unsettling and got louder with higher speed... I knew it was probably a bearing and it wasn't worth getting a $700 tranny job on a $300 car. So, in a last-ditch effort to squeeze a little more life out of the poor thing, I added a small (4-cylinder sized) can of Restore to the manual transmission oil... I was ASTOUNDED when - in about 300 miles - the grinding noise started to fade. After a month and about 500 miles, it was COMPLETELY GONE! I never heard another peep out of the transmission! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they have no other options (I looked, and Restore does not recommend their product in manual transmissions), but Restore did completely fix a worn-out, dying manual transmission in a 16-year-old Honda. If it can do that, think of what it can do for worn rings and mainshaft bearings. Chris N "
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

mire whined and whined for a month then split in half

im game for a can of restore
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

my wifes tercel has around 360,000 on tranny (1983) no problems so far. (probably because she put most of the miles on it)

my "drive the dog around" car has just over 300,000 (1985) it whines a bit in all gears and will get hard to shift in heavy stop and go traffic (only if i'm shifting a lot ,mostly because i have a habit of putting it in neutral when i stop ) my remedy has been to hold clutch in and keep shifting to a minimum (going on three years doing that).

my commuter has around 270,000 (1984 or 85 tranny) it pops out of fourth gear if i let off on the gas (usually going down a hill)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Might want to try 2 cans since the T4WD uses more oil than most trans? Not sure of the capacity of a Civic.

My last trans lasted to around 220K...going out on a camping trip...no issues shifting...just started to make much bearing noise.

Current trans had around 160K on it when put in...works just fine...knock on Al Lou Minium...using a moly additive.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

My84terc
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

Post by My84terc »

Mine made it to almost 290,000 on the original tranny. It completely broke just after Christmas (no better time!!)
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

Mine lasted 235,000. I had to order parts from Japan as one of the shafts were toast. It was not a cheap rebuild.
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

The original tranny in my 87 lasted til 297,000 miles! I think yours could too.
I replaced the bad tranny with one that had 254,000 miles, only because I already had it sitting around. I've put another 22,000 miles on it since then!
Never have had to replace an oil pump.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

The big bore, replacement motor is back from the machine shop. So now it's just a question of how long things go. I'm hoping to get 250k now. 3600 miles to go. A nice even # to remember for a new motor marker. Maybe 275K if things go wonderfully!

I added a bit of RedLine shock proof synthetic gear oil in which seems to be making a difference on cold start shifts.
Trans lube is now 50/50 Lucas Synthetic and Valvoline with a 1/4 quart of Redline Shock Proof 90W(it was in the shop, no idea where it came from). I will NOT put restore in at this point. I used it a 7AFE motor and it knocked all the particles and sludge loose which resulted in a clogged oil pick up. Not a big deal but 7afe pans are two pieces and a pain in the ass to seal properly. Let sleeping dogs lie. Let those broken pieces of metal stay where they're stuck for now.

So now the death warrant has been issued, and once the motor is built up, it will be signed.
I just order up another highboy jack to replace the stolen one. I feel it's best to "take it out" in 4WD fashion. :mrgreen:
Plus there's nothing funner than watching a AAA guy having to drive down a fire service road to tow it home. Yes, towing from any state road is covered under a standard AAA policy in Washington. Even Fire Service roads. (ALWAYS! tip your AAA Towtruck Driver BTW, it's called respect for the trade.)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Almost to 249k. I should hopefully hit 250k during the PNW meet next week. It seems that if I keep adding fluids, trans and motor oil, it will keep going for even longer.
I think I'm gonna just keep the long block and trans together when I pull them and throw it into a another vehicle down the road. Pretty impressive.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

86 4WD I had been driving for 10 years just past 400,000 km( 250,00 miles ) tranny very good accept into 3 rd gear give little crunch sound that been doing that for last 10 years , 83 4WD which I driving now 415,000 km(260,000 miles ) excellent , LAST week I was at auto wrecking yard , just pull out cluster/techometer read 578,000 km(361,000 miles ) and tranny was pull out , don't know weather orginal or 2nd or 3rd times, BUT give an idea 3-A motor just keep-on going strong .