Redline 75-90 NS: Good tranny lube!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Redline 75-90 NS: Good tranny lube!

Post by 4wdchico »

I recently put Redline 75-90 NS in the tranny of my '85 SR5. Wow, what a difference, much better shifting, both hot and cold. I thought it shifted pretty good before. I changed the trans fluid 2x with conventional gear oil earlier last year, then went with Sta-Lube Syn-Go 75-90 full synthetic with a moly additive. I put about 6k miles on that filling, mostly on my trip to Colorado.

I went back to Redline because I had such great luck with shifting performance in the t-50 transmissions of the three ae86 GTS's that I had at one point. I ran Redline MT-90 fluid in those trannys. But MT-90 is only GL4 rated and the front diff hypoid ring and pinion set in the t4wd requires a GL5 or above rated gear oil. So I ordered up some 75-90 NS Redline from my local NAPA store. The NS designation means no limited slip additives. Regular Redline gear oils can not be used in our trannys because they have a friction modifier intended for use in limited slip units in them that will stop syncros from working. I have seen it happen, not pretty.

So, now I have an even better shifting trans that is filled with a premium synthetic that is rated at GL6, a very heavy duty extreme pressure standard. I plan on changing it every 10k miles.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Redline 75-90 NS: Good tranny lube!

Post by Petros »

Good to know, how much did the lube cost?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

The Redline NS cost $11.49/qt.
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Post by ccmt »

Can this be used in the rear diff as well?
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I found recently that Red Line has our car listed on its website with various fluid recommendations. I was unsure about their suggestions and messaged them:

Make: Toyota
Model: Tercel 4WD
Year: 1987
Engine Type: 1.5L Gasoline
Differential Size/Type: hypoid open-diff
Transmission Type: hypoid transaxle (like subaru)

Issues: Hello, I was hoping your oil selector would have my vehicle, but it did not. I have a 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD manual transmission. The factory gear oil weight is 75w140 (maybe 70w? But for sure 140 on the high end). It technically has a transaxle, so the front differential/gears/RWD transfer gears all share the same oil bath, much like a Subaru transmission. These transmissions are obsolete and rebuild parts are no longer available. The gear oil it had when I bought it did not seem terribly old or smelly, and the gears shifted easily with no fuss. I changed the fluid anyway to what was available, 80w90 house brand, and now the transmission is VERY cranky when cold and REALLY doesn’t like 3rd gear anymore (wasn’t a problem until the fluid swap). I have also heard these transmissions have brass parts inside that may require a specific formulation of oil to protect those parts, but I can’t be 100% positive. What oil would you recommend I use to resolve the grinding and cold weather performance? Thanks!~

Recommendations: Looking for a 70/75w140 that is safe for this transaxle. I read your application guide for this vehicle and while it mentioned protection for brass parts, the recommended weight was WAY different that what Toyota spec'd for this transmission. Just want to make sure I'm choosing the best product that will alleviate the grinding that started after I changed out the fluid.

The reply:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Tercel manual transaxle I show a 75W90 or 80W90 GL-4 or GL-5 is called for, the MT-90 would be recommended. If a 75W140 viscosity is called for in the factory owners manual the 75W140NS would be suitable.
If current cold shiftability is stiff and the 3rd gear synchro isn’t working properly it is likely the current fluid is higher viscsoity than ideal as well as being too slippery.
At low temperature the MT-90 is substantially lower viscosity than the 75W140NS or an 80W90.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i don't think i've ever seen 75w140 gear oil mentioned for t4s. where did you read that, prof?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

From the FSM:
gear lube.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I've personally had horrible luck running redline in our 4WD trans'. I was actually too sticky so to speak. I had frothing from the vent breather and issues getting in and out of 4WD. Going back to 75w90 blended synthetic Mobil solved it in 1 fluid change. I use Redline in all my other now Tercel vehicles including my MR2 and Benz.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Synth, glad to see your still here. Larry
ccmt
My tercel:: '86 4WD SR5

Post by ccmt »

Synth, is this the stuff you're using: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ONZXPK/ref ... B009NGELU2

I'm not getting a great shift from 2nd to 3rd with the Redline so I think I might do a couple 50/50 flushes and then switch to the Mobil.