Seattle Area Tercel 4WD Meet

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Seattle Area Tercel 4WD Meet

Post by SynthDesign »

I'm wondering if anybody in the PNW is up for a meet/lite offroad excursion.

I've seen quite a few old Tercel's out and about in the area and think it would be great to add some new members and get to know other local tercel owners.
I had a great experience hosting my first meet last week(random occurrence) and would be up to host if necessary as well.
:arrow: Parking for up to 10 vehicles in my driveway.
Any way, lets here your two cents.
I was thinking sometime in early December. Weekend ish, maybe Sunday?

Synth
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: Seattle Area Tercel 4WD Meet

Post by Neu »

Meets are good. They let us see eachothers cars, and the little things we do to them that usually dont get posted on the forums.

I need to get a banner or something made up that I can mail to anyone who has a meet..lol.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Banners huh.
I do screen printing and textile design. I can print on just about anything flat. If you can get me art work in an .AI file I can print some banners up.
I'm working on a few shirt ideas now. I got the artwork from the tercel leaflets last night to play w/ . Also, I really want window banner stickers.

Synth
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
javielo709
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD STOCK

Post by javielo709 »

Any meeting pending in Tenn or KY? Will be nice to meet any of you guys!
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

SynthDesign wrote:Banners huh.
I do screen printing and textile design. I can print on just about anything flat. If you can get me art work in an .AI file I can print some banners up.
I'm working on a few shirt ideas now. I got the artwork from the tercel leaflets last night to play w/ . Also, I really want window banner stickers.

Synth

That would be amazing, I'll make a stickied thread about this. Window stickers would be amazing.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

So no-one is up for a Tercel4WD meet in December.

Alright....
How about January.

Tentative Date. January 20th 2009 Saturday AM

Place to be announced.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am good for a meet anytime. I might be out of town the week after Christmas (family get together). but Jan is good too.

Do you have a location in mind? There is a fun mountain loop we could do not far from where we live that goes through Darington on a newly reopened section of forest service road that comes out through Granite falls. A great scenic drive, but sometimes snow closes it in winter (this is a problem for most mountain roads this time of year). So we either hope global warming will keep the road open this winter, look for a good low elevation trip, or wait until spring.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

As for places...Where Ever.... but I guess we gotta decided soon huh.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

PM me info on that trail please. I'm always looking for new places to play.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I talked to a few people at toyotanation and it looks like we might be able to joint their vintage meet possibly. Waiting for more info.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

All of the foot hills trails are now under snow until much later into next year. We have 3 feet of snow and we are only 500 ft above sea level just east of Arlington. If you want to do any trail driving now it would have to be near sea level, and only after it warms up a bit to melt off the low level snow.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Another place to consider might be Exit 38 off I-90. There's a lite ORV trail that goes up to past the John Wayne trail. We use it as a shuttle road for down hill mountain biking but it's pretty fun during the winter and spring months. I haven't been up there since last summer but I'm going to make a trip up there this weekend on my way back from snowboarding as see how the snow is.

Any other thoughts by anyone else. I'd like a get together but Auto-Cross season is starting up next month and that might take up a lot of my summer weekends too. Better to plan now for later.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

I'd be up for a meet. I'm not much of an off roader - mostly hwys with some snow and dirt roads. But maybe a swap meet - Load up a bunch of your extra parts in the back, meet someplace scenic and and see if we can make some trades and take some fun pictures. BTW some parts that are usually neglected but good to have are interior fasteners, those weird plastic fasteners, some spare main fuses (a friend burned one yesterday). Let me know.
SynthDesign wrote: Any other thoughts by anyone else. I'd like a get together but Auto-Cross season is starting up next month and that might take up a lot of my summer weekends too. Better to plan now for later.
OK, I just gotta know - do you autocross the Terc? I always thought it would be a great class winner if it had a fluid coupling (and it wasn't Bremerton!) :D

Cheers,

Shawn
Bellingham
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

sdoan wrote:I'd be up for a meet. I'm not much of an off roader - mostly hwys with some snow and dirt roads. But maybe a swap meet - Load up a bunch of your extra parts in the back, meet someplace scenic and and see if we can make some trades and take some fun pictures. BTW some parts that are usually neglected but good to have are interior fasteners, those weird plastic fasteners, some spare main fuses (a friend burned one yesterday). Let me know.
SynthDesign wrote: Any other thoughts by anyone else. I'd like a get together but Auto-Cross season is starting up next month and that might take up a lot of my summer weekends too. Better to plan now for later.
OK, I just gotta know - do you autocross the Terc? I always thought it would be a great class winner if it had a fluid coupling (and it wasn't Bremerton!) :D

Cheers,

Shawn
Bellingham
A swap meet might be a great idea too. I have roughly about a car and a half in parts.

As for AutoXing a T4wd, They get smoked in there class, not really a competitive car in rally america as they sit stock either. It sucks being beat by justys and Subaru wagaons. I've run a few laps in my 83 T4wd but I mostly stick with my 85 MR2. I've also gotten flagged a few times for lifting the rear wheel off the ground in the T4wd. AutoXing can be really abusive on older cars when your trying to be competitive. Breaking a trans for a few secound faster pax time just ain't worth it
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

The MR2 sounds like the right tool for the job. Always liked the first generation ones even though they look like the designer went to origami school (all straight creases and lines).

I can imagine the Terc getting smoked in Front wheel drive, but 4wd seemed like it might work - but what do I know, haven't done it for years.

Yes older cars - I ran a 30 year old Austin Healey back in the late '80s and the competition in my class was the new Toyota FX16 Corolla (Tercel) hatchback. He got dealer sponsorship, but the Healey was quicker.

Didn't know you could get flagged for lifting tires - doesn't seem right. That's how the old Minis get around corners! And the Triumph Spitfires too (they jacked up Terrible in the rear).

This makes me want to try my GF's WRX, but it's so big and powerful I'd probably just destroy cones. :mrgreen: