Lifting a Terk?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Galen

Post by Galen »

Hi all, my dad used to have a 2WD version of these cars. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them and just recently got interested in getting one for a off road project to replace my subaru (See pics: <a href='http://usmb.net/gallery/SICK,-SICK,-SIC ... 001?full=1)' target='_blank'>http://usmb.net/gallery/SICK,-SICK,-SIC ... full=1)</a> ANyway, I can get lift kits for my subarus, but I haven't found anyone doing anything of that kind with these tercels. They have a better suspension set up then my hatch, (Read: Solid rear axle!) but again, nobody has putz with these that I can tell. So here are my questions: What has been done to these little buggers too beef them up for off road use, what is the lug pattern, and what problems should I look for when bying one? Thanks for any help you can give!
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Galen wrote:So here are my questions:  What has been done to these little buggers too beef them up for off road use,
They're pretty damn tough from the factory. My friend and I have only killed wheel bearings in mud, punctured a power steering hose on a stump and crushed a wiring harness on the same stump. Maybe some skid plates? And move the wiring harness that goes across the lower front end higher up. :)
what is the lug pattern,
4 x 100 mm
and what problems should I look for when bying one?  Thanks for any help you can give!
Rust, everything else is easy to fix!
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Post by russkiypenguin1 »

Yeah, the rust is a bitch. What's been your solution? welding in new metal? Bondo?
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

If it were me I would rig up a shield to keep water from pouring into the distributor. It's not life threatening but it does suck when you have to climb out the window and into 2 feet of water with some paper towels to dry out the cap. I would also find some heavy duty strut cartridges since I used to go through those like crazy in my wild youth. :) Oh yeah a roll cage would be nice. :lol:
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

russkiypenguin wrote: Yeah, the rust is a bitch. What's been your solution? welding in new metal? Bondo?
I've never tried fixing anything worse than mild surface rust. I hate bodywork.
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Yeah, I've always avoided it in the past also. But I'm somewhat interested in making my ugly duck look better. It's not at the top of my list, but it's an idea I'm toying around with.
Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

My son and I just purchased a 83 Tercel 4wd SR5 Wagon. It is a little rough around the edges but mechanically in good shape. The previous owner lifted it approx 2" and put 205/75-R14(26" tall) mud grips on it. It looks cool. I am working on improving the gas milage, and will be putting a carburator kit in it tomorrow.

I will get some pic's posted as soon as I figure out how.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Are you just using a carb rebuild kit out of a place like Oreilly's? and if so did you decide to replace the float also?
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Dirtmagnet wrote:My son and I just purchased a 83 Tercel 4wd SR5 Wagon. It is a little rough around the edges but mechanically in good shape. The previous owner lifted it approx 2" and put 205/75-R14(26" tall) mud grips on it. It looks cool. I am working on improving the gas milage, and will be putting a carburator kit in it tomorrow.

I will get some pic's posted as soon as I figure out how.
Get some .jpg images uploaded somewhere (I like <a href='http://www.photobucket.com' target='_blank'>Photobucket</a>) and post them, I want to see the pictures. :D
Guest_dirtmagnet

Post by Guest_dirtmagnet »

Sorry for not replying. Been away on business this week.

[QUOTE]russkiypenguin Posted on Nov 6 2004, 05:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you just using a carb rebuild kit out of a place like Oreilly's? and if so did you decide to replace the float also?

I purchased the rebuild kit from Autozone. It did not include the float. It seems it did some good. Was getting 23 mpg in mixed conditions, now it is 28+, so the kit helped.

I took a good look at the car Saturday. Looks like it is lifted approx 1". In the front, spacers were put on top of the strut to get the lift. The rear has air shocks on it. I am assuming that the rear ht can be adjusted with air pressure. The ride on the car is good. I can't compare it to a stock car because it was this way when we bought it. I know the guy who did this lift. I will talk to him and get more details.

I will attempt to post these pictures. If they do not show, I will try again.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'd like to see some closeup pics & descriptions of how this was done...espec the spacer on top of the strut. And the brand or part number of the air shock.

Nice looking wagon.

Here are the specs for RIDE HEIGHT for the '83-'84 4WD wagons:

FRONT: height is measured from the CENTER of the inside pivot of the Track Control Arm to the ground = 234.9 mm / 9 16/64".

REAR: height is measured from the CENTER of the front pivot of the Trailing Link (long link front of axle..both sides) to the ground = 273.5 mm / 10 24/32".

* There is a very slight difference between the OEM 70 and 80 series tires...I averaged.

If you could measure your ride height on a level surface...it'd be interesting to see what height it is boosted to....mine isn't up to OEM hieght yet......
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

We will be out of town tomorrow, but I will get the measurements Sunday and get them posted. I will also get more details(manf, part numbers) on the shocks and struts next week, and post some photo's of these and how everything is mounted.

Does anyone know where I can find a repair manual for the '83 model. Every place I have found skips 83-84.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Dirtmagnet wrote: Does anyone know where I can find a repair manual for the '83 model. Every place I have found skips 83-84.
The 83-88 wagons are basically the same design. So you could just download the manual from this site. It will serve 99.9% of your needs.

If you would like to buy one, you can try your Toyota dealer. If that doesnt work, I have a phone # for a place in California called the 'Toyota Material Distribution Centre' or something like that. Everytime my dealer tells me they can't get me a factory repair manual for my Toyota, I just call the number. I'd put it up here, but I don't have it handy right now. Although I think I have posted it on this site before.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

wow i love that lift, now i know why i'm so attracted to these cars....*drools*

*pouts* i want one!
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Guest_dirtmagnet wrote: Image
I love it!
Now it just needs a brush guard and skidplate! And maybe some really big lights.