My tercel stolen!!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

:angry: :( :blink: DDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I go outside my apartment this morning and my tercel is GONE!!! I called the towing company that services our lot to make sure it was not towed, and it has not been. I'm now calling my insurance company and the police.

I was helping a friend do a head job on his volvo last night, and his head was in the back of my car and has also been stolen.

If it is written off or not found I doubt I'll get much money from the insurance company. I imagine they'll only give me $1000 for a 86 tercel with 365,000kms on it. :( I've put a lot of money and time into the car though...

I got home at 1:00am last night, and went back outside at 9:00am. So it was stolen in the morning sometime. Why the fu*k would someone steal a rusty old tercel wagon?????

It's my damn birthday today too. <_<
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Crap, man I don't know what to say. It's probably joyriders looking for a car that's easy to steal, and I hope they catch the bastards.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I had a VW van stolen once...they found it with the motor gone and some tools missing that I had in the back. Motors were easy to get out of a VW....they found it on a backroad.

Too bad about all the work you put into it. Maybe they just wanted it to get someplace.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

DOH!!!

I know how that feels.

I once had my Laverda parked on the sidewalk, and I come home from a weekend out, and I notice the cover is on backwards.... So I take a look, and some of the electrical parts were missing!!!

Turns out, the neighbor across the street had the EXACT same bike, and he had stolen the parts he needed off of mine. How did I know this? Because in order to fix the voltage regulator on that bike I had to smack it with a hammer multiple times... So I called the police. They took care of him.

Thieves SUCK.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

:( Sorry too here that Nick! When I lived in Oregon my primo 68' Fastback Mustang(just like the one in "Bullit")was stolen.The Police found it a week later with minor damadge,so mabey theres a chance your thieves are on a temperary "Joyride" too ;) .Dose living on an Island help~your~odds? :unsure:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I look at mine like 15 times a day. Perhaps I worry to much. Besides I'll hear it stall a couple of times before they take off. In fact I can see it my window right now. :) Sorry to hear that. :( If only you had your Corolla you could go around looking for it. I hope you find it in one piece, and maybe theft prevention is important after all. You should do a little rewiring when you get it back hopefully.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I received a call from the police about 6 hours after I had reported it missing. It was found about 5-10min drive from my house. The police had it towed to a towing yard. I picked it up. I am very lucky; the only damage to the car is a broken rear passenger window and an ignition that was forced with a screwdriver or something. I lost about $700 worth of belongings from in the car, but luckly they left about $2000 worth in there. Very confusing, I don't know why they didn't take everything else. My friend's volvo head was still in the back too.

All said and done, I think I am fairly lucky. And yes, I will be working on some anti-theft devices. It was a good wake-up call; I really did not need the additional stress though...

Cheers,

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
OZ Rob

Post by OZ Rob »

Glad to here you got it back with minimal damage

the one fear anyone has is some lowlife scum stealing there pride and joy
luckly here in WestOz thay have made it mandetory to fit anti-theif or immoberlizer to a car.

Again glad to hear you got it back. :D
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I knew someone that had an old Toyota Van and it was being stolen and someone quickly told the owner and he went after the guy with a shotgun. It appears that you can stick a pair of scissors and start the car. Luckily the guy gave up and left the van. No one was hurt. I'm gad you got it back. :) We have to do something about the ignition though.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

tercel4wdrules wrote: and he went after the guy with a shotgun.
I was having feelings like this yesterday; it's a very good thing I did not catch the bastard who stole it...in situations like this my temper can sometimes get the better of me.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

There should be a law.

All car thieves are turned over to the owners of the vehicles for suitable punishment. Imagine it. It would stop car thefts overnight.

Same goes for those little bastards who like lighting bushfires.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Most cars are stolen and recovered within a 5 mile radius.

My wife has an 83 Sirocco. One morning to her surprise, someone had stolen the leather seats (front and back).

ICBC (our lovely sole provider of primary car insurance) was going to write the car off as the cost to replace the seats was greater than the value of the car (seats were Ricaro's about 2,400 to replace). After talking to the ICBC and their investigators we were told to look around the area within a 5 mile radius. I alerted some of my pals in the police force that we were looking for seats. My wife remembered some kid, about a year ago, asking her to sell the car to him. She tracked him down 3 blocks away with her seats in his car.

We alerted the police and they impounded the car. Somehow the front-end of the car was damaged on its way to the impound lot.

We got the seats back (detectives let us take them right from his car and put them into hers in the lot).

:blink:
lesabre400
Advanced Member

Post by lesabre400 »

Holy crap - what a story. Sorry you had to go through that on your birthday, GTS. You're lucky to have it back in good shape - joyriders usually treat the cars worse than I treat a rental. Glad to hear the happy ending.
A guy I work with has been restoring a '74 Porsche Carrera for about 4-5 years now. He just picked it up from a mechanic's place with a smashed rear window, missing interior bits (year-specific stuff, of course), and a generally trashed interior. The car was supposed to be stored inside and obviously wasn't. What makes it worse is the mechanic continued to store it outside with a tarp duct-taped over it. When they removed the tarp, the paint came off with the tape! On top of all that, the mechanic never called my workmate to tell him - he was going to try to fix it all. Like he wouldn't have noticed - duh. The amazing thing is the mechanic is still alive and has full use of all his extremeties
I almost look forward to winter now...
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

man that's insane!! Stupid kids trying to take your tercel :angry: least you got it back, it could be worse! But yea, time to invest in a security system of some sort. Our tercels are probably really easy to break into and start no problem. Hopefully this happens to no one else anytime soon!

Damn car thieves. Lets burn em!
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

No, no, no.

Not burn them. That makes too much mess.

What you want to do is take their fingers and put them into a vice for a while. :D

And we have these wonderful things called Hurst tools in the Fire Servce.
Also known as "The Jaws of Life."

They'll shift 10 tonnes, so imagine what fun we can have with them :D
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"