My tercel stolen!!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Thanks again for all the support guys!

Had a local wrecker courier a new window to me yesterday at work. Cost $45CAD. Much better than the $300 deductable my insurance company was going to charge before having any work done to the car.

Not sure what I'm going to do about my messed up ignition. I think something is broken off inside of it. I can also start the car with a screwdriver or anything that fits where the key goes. Maybe I'll drop by Toyota and Napa and see what they charge for new ignition lock/key sets.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
lesabre400
Advanced Member

Post by lesabre400 »

I had to put a new driver's door lock in our old '95 Passat (I'd broken a key off inside it one cold winter's morn) and I think it might have been $50 - it was a while ago. The guy at the parts counter actually re-tumbled the lock to match the original key while I stood there. That's the cost for snazzy German parts, so hopefully the Tercel's will be much cheaper. Although there's something cool about a car you can start with a screwdriver... B)
I almost look forward to winter now...
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

:lol: Haha! Good info, thanks. I'll definitely see if they can re-tumble the lock to match the original key; that would be great, one less key to haul around.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

What kind of theft security device(s) should we put on our Tercels?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

tercel4wdrules wrote: What kind of theft security device(s) should we put on our Tercels?
surface to surface heat seaking missiles :ph34r:
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

All the security you need is a big black mean-looking bodyguard standing by it at all times. That'll scare anyone away lol - they won't go NEAR ur car
lesabre400
Advanced Member

Post by lesabre400 »

Hey ICE,
Any idea why I can't put up a new avatar? I've tried a few times now with no luck. Is it something to do with the new server and my Macintosh? :huh:
I almost look forward to winter now...
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I think the one where the thief gets electricuted is best. I wonder if that's possible.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

On a more serious note, as soon as I have time, I'm going to have a high quality alarm system put in. I hate car alarms, but I know it will work well to deter the thiefs from stealing my car in the area I live in. The alarm would wake up have the people in the condo I live in (because it is an outdoor parking lot on one side of the building). I'm working 12 hour days these days, so don't have time to install it myself.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

Sorry to hear about all that. Good thing you got it back. My car was beign eyed up one night i worked late. I don't like to think about what happens to my cars when I'm not around.

If you need anything (perhaps a new engine :P J/K ), let me know, I can try and help!!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Gelok

Post by Gelok »

The funny thing is though, that no matter how bad it is when and if you get it back the damn thing will still run; at least it will try. That sucks about your car.javascript:emoticon('%3C_%3C')
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well heres some thoughts- Kudos to the South African's for these- There are a few systems.
You can rig up a small capacitor bank with some batteries that will electrocute a person attempting to force entry. The equivalent of a tazer shock (which is accomplished by 6 AA batteries believe it or not). It will basically cause all the muscles to spasm and the person will be knocked over and temporarily paralyzed, no long-term effects, so no law-suits. I'm sure you could rig it up for breaking windows as well.
Another S.A. innovation is a propane system rigged up with jets under the body that upon the push of a button shoot 750+degree short bursts of flame out from under the car. Used to prevent car-jackings. If it were legal (which I'm willing to bet it's not) you could rig it up to an alarm system.
Another innovation is a pepper-spray powder that will be sprayed out upon attempted forced entry. Same thing the police are putting in paint-balls for riot-control. You could possibly work that out with your local police district and get a license for use of it, as all it does is create extreme irritation.
The three of these can be rigged up for multiple charges, quite easily.
I KNOW this would be illegal but some South African/American areas allow the use of a small-arms weapon mounted benieth that would fill up the perpetrators legs with lead.

I can just imagine the security sticker- WARNING! THIS AUTO PROTECTED BY HIGH-PITCHED ALARM, ELECTRIC SHOCK DEVICE, PEPPER-SPRAY DEVICE, AND FLAME-THROWERS! UNLESS YOU WANT A WORLD OF PAIN, BACK THE F*** OFF!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
83SW54WD
My tercel:: '83 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD 5 speed

Re: My tercel stolen!!

Post by 83SW54WD »

Mine was stolen too! Today or in the wee hours of the morning.

I had the "Unbreakable" AutoLock Pro tightly engaged to my clutch....evidently, this lame product is easily unlocked by the experienced car thief....so didn't even work as a deterrent.

I am sooo lucky!! After calling the cops, I looked around my neighborhood. My heart skipped a beat just as I was about to have a minor meltdown-- HURRAH!! HALLELUJAH!! The car was parked (legally) up the street, albeit ransacked, cigarette ash everywhere, belongings taken...a freakin' tear in my original Blue/White plaid/oversized houndstooth (?) upholstery!!

The officer who came offered tips on how to prevent repeat loss of my beloved car!! Unfortunately, the tips did not work...again, I am soooo lucky...not wrecked, started right up (I LOVE MY CAR!!) and have it in my driveway now. Will park our other car behind it tonight because the officer said they may come back.

It's the weekend, so have to wait until Monday to take it to my trusted mechanic of 30 years....there must be an easy way for me to protect my car from thieves...my friend does something with her hotrod ford!! Hopefully, my trusty beloved car will be with me for many years to come.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I keep thinking a hidden kill switch that is always "on" (disengages the starter), as part of the start up you hold it while you crank it.

and as a bonus, easy to rig, if you try and engage the starter without pressing the hidden switch, a loud alarm or horn goes off.

I think this would be simple and cheap to rig.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Petros wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 pm I keep thinking a hidden kill switch that is always "on" (disengages the starter), as part of the start up you hold it while you crank it.

and as a bonus, easy to rig, if you try and engage the starter without pressing the hidden switch, a loud alarm or horn goes off.

I think this would be simple and cheap to rig.
I've always liked this idea. I wanted to get this rfid setup to connect to the ignition to see if it will work as stated.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.