Maslow's revenge-- Front end noise problem finally solved!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Maslow's revenge-- Front end noise problem finally solved!

Post by hberdan »

For the last two years more or less I've had intermittant, sometimes LOUD clunk sounds coming from the driver's front side of the car. I've checked the struts twice, had it aligned and even rechecked once, checked the ball joints, sway bar, etc. All OK, well, except for that sway bar incident last fall. Even pulled the plastic undercover on the fender and checked the fender for looseness or to see if something was rattling around underneath. No luck, noise was still there, driving me nuts...
Finally driving around in an empty parking lot one day I discovered that if I drove holding the drivers door open the noise...disappeared.
So, I checked the movement of the drivers door which I found to have a lot of up-down looseness and play on the hinges--called a body shop, found out they wanted $$$ to repair the problem. Said the hinges were worn and needed replacement, blah blah blah. At least a $200 job, maybe more.
My regular mechanic buddy said he could fix it, no problem. He pulled out a hand sledge hammer and a long 1/2" diameter steel punch, and gave the upper hinge a couple of hard whacks on the body side of the hinge. Presto! Tightened up the hinge. Noise is completely gone now. Completely, and the door works great.
He says to me, "you know, hammers can be really useful at times".
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Maslow's revenge-- Front end noise problem finally solved!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

XLNT resolution - I have a sagging DS hinge as well - gonna try it. Thanks!
Is the title a reference to Abraham?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

"If the only tool you have is a hammer you tend to see every problem as a nail"-- Abraham Maslow.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

AHA!
I actually used that line as part of my signature here for a while without knowing the attribution!
It is a favorite quote when helping my 12 year-old gson tackle mech questions (my son-in-law, bless his heart, is quite tool-challenged and, as a consequence, their house is tool-barren until I arrive). The gson is gradually learning the value of "the right tool for the right job."
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain