What a day to turn 200K

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

What a day to turn 200K

Post by splatterdog »

Getting blasted by our best first snowstorm in a while and hit the big 200,000 running some errands with the parts car. Hadn't really put the rear driveline to the test till today. It sure is nice to kick ass with only 62 h.p. Left everyone in my dust.

Thought I had major trouble for a moment until I figured out the blower motor bearings had given out without warning. Loudest one I've heard in a long time. And just when the windows were starting to clear. Still had up to 2nd speed but anything more could make babies cry.

One more new part for my "parts" car. Augh!
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Hey, good to hear the little beastie is still running good!!

It's a little monster in the snow, isn't it? I really missed it the last couple days. Although, I don't miss the lack of heat.... :)

I just made a run to Dominos for dinner and man, I could have really done with it today. We've got about 6 inches on the ground now and it's still coming down in almost blizzard conditions.

But I must say, when that plow truck went by with the plow facing the wrong way (towards me) I was VERY thankful to be driving the full size Chevy truck!!

Anyways, glad to hear the Terc is still going strong and congrats on the 200,000 mark!! She's just getting broken in. :twisted:
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Jts
Advanced Member

Post by Jts »

I just finished lubing the bearings on my blower motor. Its a fairly easy job that takes about 20 min to get the motor out of the car and out of the ducting. Put some moly lube on the top bearing and dripped some oil into the lower bearing. The lower bearing is sort of a pain because you have to pass oil over the brush contact surface, but after some oil, its been silent ever since.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Beyond lubing I'm afraid. Mine sounds like it has a thrown rod. Too critical a part, it's going away. I already froze once in this car last march driving it 300 miles home soaking wet and middle 30's for temps with a bad blower switch. Heating season is in full swing and I like being toasty.

This storm could reallly mess up lake ice production statewide so the burb will likely be at home more while the "ultralight" rig will be seeing alot more fishing duty. Not to mention the burb is mighty thirsty.

Mickey_D--- I thought you might enjoy the mileage mark. It's days are numbered however. Major organ donation is at hand. I've made room in my shed for everything but the shell. The 84 is waiting for a couple minor things too. Maybe, just maybe it will make it till spring. I wouldn't mind dissolving this body in minnesota salt one more season instead of my new 85 anyway.

I'm just lucky my neighbors don't mind some of my ornaments.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: What a day to turn 200K

Post by takza »

splatterdog wrote:Getting blasted by our best first snowstorm in a while
Just read that Canada is expecting a cold winter..or a maybe a normal winter.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Yeah we got a nice blast last night. Some real nice snow drifts!
It usually doesn't get really crazy until January and February where i live.(next to lake Huron) During that time I can barely get out of the house and the snow doesn't fall vertical it goes horizontal!
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

jetswim wrote:During that time I can barely get out of the house and the snow doesn't fall vertical it goes horizontal!
Reminds me of the year I spent going to school on the Kweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan. From Christmas to Easter, the difference between a good day and a bad day was the direction the snow fell, vertical was a good day, horizontal was not so good, but it always snowed.

When I first got there, I asked people why all the houses had a door on the second floor that didn't go anywhere, everyone replied that it was to get in and out of the house in winter. I thought they were kidding.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Brought this one back due to a reoccurrence, with yet another "parts" car. The Icehawk hit it while doing it's job this weekend, quite well as usual. Even had another ice fisherman yell "that's bad ass!" when he saw me auger a hole from the driver seat with no cold wind in my face or water splashed on my feet. Didn't hit 200k until after dark, so as I was leaving the lake I used a couple ice houses in the background as proof it happened while doing very well in it's natural habitat. Enough snow to need a 4wd truck or suv, but not quite enough ice for one has given me another jump ahead of the horde!
20210103_202856.jpg
Light provided by Hella housings and their 100w bulbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Very nice!!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

When the subject says 'what a day to turn 200k' I was thinking it was a new post and you were referencing the calamity in DC. Really glad that i met you guys on here to give me a more accurate representation of the USA. Cheers my friends!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Congrats, it's finally broken in!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:57 pm When the subject says 'what a day to turn 200k' I was thinking it was a new post and you were referencing the calamity in DC. Really glad that i met you guys on here to give me a more accurate representation of the USA. Cheers my friends!
hint Mattel: when it comes to political news out of the USA, there is no good source of reliable information. much of what is reported as "news" is unbalanced, very biased, incomplete, and often down right (bad) opinion and even lies (on all sides of most issues). Even for us it can be hard to determine what is true, and I am a news junkie. The more I see the less I trust it. I am sure it is the same where you are too, but perhaps not quite as outlandish.

Do not take it as a reflection of what it typical here for most of the citizens, it is only news worthy because it is uncommon.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)