4afe swap lots of pics

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

4afe swap lots of pics

Post by 83toybeater »

i have started my 4afe swap, i will post pictures and document it along the way. i am going to be doing this on a tight budged, my goal is under a $1000 in the car (including the price of the car) when im done.

first off i have to say wow theres gona be alot of work involved in thing to keep it a good daly driver.
Last edited by 83toybeater on Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

my doner car is a 1990 geo prizm i got for 100 bucks, it had 60, 60, 0 , 0 compression. after pulling the motor and removing the head, it was a blown head gasket, and im 90% sure the head is destroyed. but no fear i have perfectly good head aval for free.

Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

awesome, i love free and cheap stuff!

it should be a pretty good swap when completed...
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

How do you intend to deal with the distributor location (off the back of the cam shaft) and the EFI manifold with the throttle plate which would end up against the fire wall on the Turc?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

AE86 4AGE might be better suited....?
Maybe 4AGE manifold bolts up? I personally don't know.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

ill have pictures tonight on the firewall part, almost done with the distributor part, next is the are intake.

i would prefer a 4age out of a rwd, but that would increase costs expoentialy. there are none in this town in the junk yards, my only option would of been to rent a trailer barrow a friends truck and find on in phx junk yard. or ebay and they are around 1k for the long block, some come with the harness.

so for 100bucks for 99% of what i need its worth the labor, plus its fun!!
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

i pretty much got the disy hole done, i ran out of welding wire tonight so ill have to finish it tomarow. here is pics of the prosses to get that to fit.

first i had to remove everything under the dash, the hole hvac system.

this is the box were the heater core lives, also controls where all the air flows. it was too close to the firewall so it had to be modified if i wanted to keep heat.

this is the modified box back in the car looking threw the big hole

the plate i made to fill the hole so i dont have crap blowing in from outside.
it was all eyeballed no messureing.
ok dont laugh at the welding, its crap , there was big gaps to fill, metal was way to thin kept burning threw. for some reason the welding was spudering really bad. i think i have a problem with the ground on the outlet i was using. anyways i can make pretty welds but these are butt ugly.

i made the hole biger than i need to so i can actualy put wires on it without pulling the head, it looks like i can even get the whole dissy out.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Welders are nice to have, eh? I just got a free MIG-100 from somebody. I've been practicing on some scrap 16-guage. I'm getting better! heh... I'm pretty good with stick on 1/8"+, but this thin stuff is finnicky...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

ya its my friends welder that i have in hops till he pays me back for a clutch i bought him, its a lil lincoln 100+. welding the firewall sucks, kepts lighting the interor on fire.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

So, it appears you will have to remove the head to take out the distributor, or to even change the cap? Hope you never have to service the distributor, I would put all new stuff in it before the head goes on.

That looks like the hard way to make that fit. Have you considered installing a distributorless ignition system? I do not know what it costs, but a lot of racers are doing that now adays.

Finding a different head with the dist on the side would be the easier way to go, but as you pointed out it would likely be more costly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

with the head in place the dissy comes out, so i think ill be good, thats why i made the hole biger than i needed to.

and yes it was the hard way, i think a distributorless ignition cost 1k plus, sense it will require a stand alone.

my bigest problem i thing is going to be the exhaust manifold. it comes hits the starter. so im goning to have to custom make somthing or try rwd corola header. does anyone know what side the starter lives on them?
Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

Right under the exhaust manifold on the 4AGE Had to pull my header off to change my starter on my 87 AE86

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

im pretty sure its the same bolt patern, can you conferm or deni this?
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

you could alternately do megasquirt with ignition, people get a CAS and then a ford solid state ignition pack and wire it all up, i was reading about a guy that did that with his BMW 2002, only he had to get a custom sensor ring fit to the crank, our engines have that stuff available already from later model engines.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

finished the pounding of the firewall

the wireing harness was verry intemidating, i spend a entire day triming it down. this is what it looked like before

the 4age header didnt not bolt up to the head, the bolt holes were the right patern but the flange was about an inch longer. i had to cut the flange off the stock manifold and weld it on to the aftermarket one for an ae86. it still hits the floor pan so some more bending will be in order