Storing my Tercel :(

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ctishman
Advanced Member

Storing my Tercel :(

Post by ctishman »

Well, the day fast approaches to move to Seattle, and with it the unhappy prospect of leaving my dearly beloved 4WD Tercel in Eugene, as alas, it would never pass Seattle smog. My father is the technical owner of it, and he has asked me to draw up plans for storage.

I don't know when (nor if) I will reclaim it, so what's the best place/way to prepare to store my car for up to a year (at which point I will ask that he sell it/give it away)? Keep in mind that this is in the wet Oregon winter.

Also, :( .
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

I'm assuming you don't have an indoor place to store it. The car should be as clean as possible before you park it. Wash it thoroughly, and wax the paint. Vacuum the interior, and make sure there's nothing that a rodent might consider food inside the car. Change the oil and filter. Treat the gas with Sta-Bil, and start it long enough to ensure the treated gas has filled the carburetor. Jack the Tercel up on a level surface and put it on jack stands so that the tires are just above the surface. Spray or wipe the tires liberally with a tire treatment. I use Meguiar's. Spray the engine compartment thoroughly with a silicone engine shine (mainly to discourage rodent damage). Finally, disconnect the battery. It'll hold a charge longer that way.
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Thanks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I hope your parting words will be the same as those of The Terminator...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I would add a car cover to what neonsport listed. It will keep UV rays from breaking down many of the rubber components. At the very least, a sunshade in the windshield.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Don't know if you have oxygenated gas where you are. Todays fuel stores very poorly. I've seen quite a few jello filled carbs and tanks on seasonal small engines the last few years. We can get non-oxy here but have to shell out for premium to get it.

On the bright side, there's always free yard equipment on craigslist that most just need a fuel flush.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

We have 10% Ethanol gas here. It can go for more than 5 years in storage, but thats with the Sta-Bil being re done every fall. Doesn't run that great when you're ready to go again, but it does work.
So on that note, Sta-Bil it at least annually.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

All good advice, I would also add bleeding out all of the old brake fluid with new fluid, and also soaking the door seals and dash with Armorall or similar, and spraying the locks with silicon lube. PUt WD40 or penetrating oil on all the small moving parts under the dash (heater controls, hindges etc.).

If it will be sitting that long, better count on needing a new battery unless you can get someone to recharge it every 2 or 3 months. You might also consider flushing out the radiator and install new coolant (this should not matter if your coolent is recent and clean).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

Petros wrote:All good advice, I would also add bleeding out all of the old brake fluid with new fluid, and also soaking the door seals and dash with Armorall or similar, and spraying the locks with silicon lube. PUt WD40 or penetrating oil on all the small moving parts under the dash (heater controls, hindges etc.).

If it will be sitting that long, better count on needing a new battery unless you can get someone to recharge it every 2 or 3 months. You might also consider flushing out the radiator and install new coolant (this should not matter if your coolent is recent and clean).
id actually recommend disconnecting the battery during storage, but i agree on lubricating all those small parts.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

If you're going to sell/give it away in a year, why not just do that now?