Transmishion Help

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I have two simple questions and would apreciat anyones input(that includes all lurkers,yes weve been watching you!This site,much like life,is a give a little-take a little proposition,So Pony-Up!!!) :D
1.Any tips for loosening the Fill-plug on the manual transmishion? Mine has slightly rounded corners,has almost no clearance,and feels like its a little smaller than 24mm.(dam quickie oil~change kid made shure all my plugs wernt going anywhere!
:angry:).

2.I cleaned my engine off too find an oil leak(its getting worse),and it looks like its comeing froming the oil~presure sending unit,has anyone ever herd of them leaking? The three possible culprits are the oil filter(dose'nt look likely),a dubble plug thingie(in between the filter and sending unit,looks non~funtioning),and the oil~sending unit(has oil all over it including the endwire~plug).The oil originates right below the sending~unit and plug and too the left side of the filter.Any advice is good advice! :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

For that fill plug I would put some vise-grips on it, they clamp tight enough to get those rounded off bolts, off. Or if you have a gator gip socket, that might work, maybe even some pliers if you have a He-man grip.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

If the corners on the filler bolt are only slightly rounded then I would not resort to visegrips yet (as they will finish it off and you'll have to buy a new one). Take a file and gently file the flat sides of the bolt, not much, but just enough so that the 24mm socket will fit on. The bolt is 24mm BTW. I would recommend using a 6 sided 24mm socket (with 1/2 drive). Go to a hardware store before you begin the job and buy a 3-4' long steel pipe that will fit snug over the handle of your 1/2" rachet right down to the rachet part. When you undo the filler bolt, you can slide this pipe onto your ratchet to give you torque as you undo the bolt. You'll have to have your car jacked up a fair amount to give you room to do this. You'll find that this pipe will come in usefull many times again in the future (I use mine all the time to get things apart). Make sure you push your racket socket against the nut as you un-torque it. You don't want the socket to slip and trip the bolt more (which will happen if the socket is not on the bolt at the right angle, or on all the way).

Another options is: Buy a 24mm large closed end wrench. Again, put it snugly on the filler bolt. Use a rubber mallet to hammer the end of the wrench. Many times this will jolt the bolt loose.

Use vise grips as a last resort. It will be tough to get enough torque on them to get the bolt out. And they'll chew up the bolt pretty bad.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I started out with a big crescent wrench on the fill/drain plugs and realized real fast that that wouldn't do it. Like mentioned above...buy a 6-point socket and use it or an open end wrench from now on. AND...replace any plugs that are chewed up...they will only get worse.

Sometimes an SAE size will fit a little snugger than the metric.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Take your adjustable (crescent) wrenches and throw them in the garbage!!</span></span> :blink:

Kidding...Just don't use them on anything that you can use a socket/rachet or closed end wrench on. I almost never use adjustable wrenches for anything anymore.

For around $150US you can set yourself up with a full 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive set in metric and standard with all wrenches, screwdrivers and alan keys. I bought the Craftsman brand from Sears (not sure if you have Sears in the US). Craftsman has a life time warranty on most hand tools.

If you do your own work on your car, you will pay off your tools in no time at all.

Having the right tools for the job is priceless. Jobs can be an absolute nightmare without the right tools. You'll end up doing more damage than good.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

There's a couple anomalys :blink: that need further investigation.My "fill" plug has about 1/2" side~clearance so I cant get a socket in~there and my plugs have very shollow heads(1/8")that are partally obstructed by trans~body itself.They have a slight reseshion on the head~surface with a ridge around perimiter witch makes them prone to striping.So I need to get~them~off and replaced with better ones! In the mean time I think I'll use Takza's Frount~fill method,I just hope its drains properly without all the upper plugs removed. ;)
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

P.S. : Nick,Sears and Craftsman are about as American as Davie Croketts left~nut...THERE EVERYWHERE!!! :rolleyes: COME~OOOOOOOOOOONNN!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I hope didn't drain the oil before finding out how bad the filler plug is. These are frequently bad items, especially if serviced at a quick oil change place where they probably just use an adjustable wrench or vise grips. I used to work at one of those places and they strip alot of drain plugs in general. If proper tools don't work, I would then try heating with a torch and using vise grips, and if that doesn't work, cut a slot in the side of the plug with a cutting wheel, or if none is available, a hacksaw blade, and hammer at that slot with a big flathead screwdriver. That method hardly ever fails. I even got a lug nut off that way once.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thanks for the input guys.Since I could only loosen the forward side~plug I decided to "Takzasize" it buy draining as is(seemed to drain ok) and filling from the front(while on ramps).I also replaced my presure sending unit(real~bitch) and oil filter.The Fram was bigger,had a better seal and was 50 cents cheaper than the Purlator. :) So I'll check for leaks tomorrow. <_<
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I don't trust Fram oil filters. The oil filter tests I've seen (2) rule them out. B)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

If you can't use Fram then you should only use Genuine Toyota filters?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

:blink: Witch filters were best Takza? :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The ones I know of:

<a href='http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html' target='_blank'>http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html</a>

<a href='http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/ol ... s.shtml</a>

<a href='http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml</a>

<a href='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search' target='_blank'>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... =Search</a>

I use the Pure One...about 2X the price of the cheap filters and 1/2 the price of the best filters? Couldn't find an oversized filter for the Tercel.....