To 3A-C Power

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
sarg

Post by sarg »

I saw in your profile you installed an 01' Celica stereo. I want to swap mine out too.....been looking on ebay, found a bunch of what I think are candidates.

Did you buy another wiring harness? Where did you get your hands on the wiring diagram for the orginal to cross over to the new harness?

thanks
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There are two styles of wiring harness, before 1987 and after 1987. If there's an external amplifier, there is more wiring and information on that is hard to find. The diagrams are at http://www.installdr.com. Unless your Tercel is an 87 or 88, you need to convert the harness. The best way to do it is to go to the junkyard and get a connector from an 87 or newer Toyota and go to a car audio store and get an adapter harness for an 86 and older Toyota. Wire these two harnesses together as per the diagram. There is one wire that is labeled 'do not use' on the diagram, which is actually for the light. You wouldn't use it for aftermarket stereos that don't have light hookups, but you do want to use it for the Toyota stereo. Every button and knob lights up along with the gauge lights. For a Celica stereo and others like it, you have to trim the Tercel's radio trim piece for the faceplate to fit because it's wider than standard.