2wd to 4wd swap

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
yotercelsrcool

Post by yotercelsrcool »

I saw a 2wd '85 tercel wagon for sale, $750, no rust, runs good, but I really want 4wd. Is it worth buying this and swapping in the 4wd driveline or should I just try to find a 4wd model? I never see too many of these car for sale, I'm thinking it would be hard to find a rust free 4wd.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I'm in the same boat, looking for a rust free 4WD. The front wheel drive has a completely different rear end and you would have to do very major changes involving cutting and welding so it is not worth the effort. I have seen rust-free wagons go for under $500 several times, just not having money at the time to buy one. There are usually a few on ebay every month or so, plus what's in the auto trader and cars.com.
yotercelsrcool

Post by yotercelsrcool »

Thanks, thats good to know. I think I'll just hold off for a 4wd then.
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

yotercelsrcool wrote: I saw a 2wd '85 tercel wagon for sale, $750, no rust, runs good, but I really want 4wd. Is it worth buying this and swapping in the 4wd driveline or should I just try to find a 4wd model? I never see too many of these car for sale, I'm thinking it would be hard to find a rust free 4wd.
I didn't find the conversion of my car that hard. just gotta spend time to see what fits close and works!!! having a welder and sawzall helps!!

Remember, any modifacation can be reversed...no necessarily easily but it can be.
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!