Need better engine cooling

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

Thereminator wrote: 20valve,did you have to modify that omni radiator and did you have air~cond? B)
the only thing that was in question was that the return to the pump on the chrysler rad comes out the side. Because I ran my rad hoses along the fender it wasn't a concern. If you choose this rad, you may want to go the universal rubber hoses instead of the OEM replacement. It will be a little short. The fan switch will thread right in. I used one off of an '87 so everything is metric. As for a/c, yes I had a/c in my terc with the 20v.
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I noticed that my ratiator is only about 3/4" thick and that some of the Tercel J~yard ratiators are about twice as thick.Do the thicker ones have more cooling~surface area and if so,would it make much difference to exchange them? B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I bought($45)and installed that aftermarket double-core radiator today.It was a snug~fit but I managed to eek~it~in by bending the lower fan~shrowed a little.Im running about 30 percent cooler now and I noticed something alittle strange.When Im not moving the fan kick's~in like before,but at a lower temp.Im thinking that the sencer may go on at a pre~set amount above an average,any Ideas? B)
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

each sensor has a preset temp for switching. This may or may not be the same as another car of same year. If you used the switch that came with the new rad (if in fact it did come with one) it may be 19.2 degrees or more off. I like japanese electronics, however the taiwan made switch has about a 10% deviation from one to another.

(192 degree thermostat stock x 10% = 19.2 degrees)

if you are having cooling problems, a second alternative is to lower, or remove the thermostat. I reccommend a 160-180 degree thermostat with 3 - 1/8" holes around the circumfence of the flange between the bearing surface to the water jacket and the thermostat orafice.
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Thereminator:

Which radiator did you get? The one for a dodge omni?

I'm going to replace mine soon.... the one I swapped from another tercel is in terrible shape.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I got mine from the J~yard so Im not shure who makes it.The reservors look like a copper~colored metal.I took it from another(2-dr)tercel and it was pretty obvious that it was an aftermarket install and made for the Tercel. <_< If it works well for a couple more weeks,you can have my old one(good~shape)if~you~want. :)