Power Windows

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I did some research on the matter today, using the junkyard and the Toyota EPC parts catalog.

At the junkyard, I took out a motor from a Cressida and a regulator from an AE82 Corolla, which I thought would be similar to the Tercel one. I found there was no correlation between the regulator and the motor in terms of mounting holes, but the gears were the same pitch. The motor also wouldn't fit because the door sheet metal would be in the way. I later found through the catalog that the Corolla and probably all cars with power windows have a different regulator for the ones with power windows because a good place to put a window crank is not necessarily a good place to put a motor. I also confirmed that the AE82 Corolla (84-97) did come with power windows on some LE models, and comparing the diagrams of the Tercel regulator and the one for the Corolla without power windows, they look the same. That doesn't mean it will fit, but it means it's worth trying to put a Corolla power window regulator and motor in a Tercel. Even if the regulator requires a bit of custom mounting like drilling holes, it will be easier than mounting a motor to a regulator that was never meant for it. The power window regulator places the motor close to the bottom of the door where there's more room.

I also looked at universal power window kits, in which a motor drives a ring that mounts on the window crank spindle through a belt or cable, allowing the motor to be mounted wherever there's room. They are always an option but are expensive ($300 for a four door kit) and I would rather use Toyota parts in any situation. So the next step is to find one of those Corolla regulators. I know Carlos has seen one of those with power windows but I haven't seen one anywhere let alone in a junkyard.

Something else I should say is do not try to put AE82 Corolla door handles in your Tercel. I tried that and though they are nice door handles and don't jam like the Tercel ones, they do not fit. They will fit in the door but leave 1/2" of space and the rod will not attach because the mount is too high. You also really have to jam them in there, which I should never have done when it became apparent that they were different and didn't fit. There are many more handles to try and I hope something fits.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Those 84-87 AE82 Corolla FWD sedans are abundant here in Los Angeles- I mean they are everywhere. I guess they are an economical sedan for the city and the 4A-LC gives them good gas mileage. I saw one with the power windows it was a LE Limited Sedan (3A-C Power I didn't remember what it said next to LE so I thought it was Luxury Edition, but it isn't, I don't know if the car is still there as it was a while ago it was there) it also had a lot of other power equipment like power mirrors, power door locks, etc. I'm not sure but maybe I might have seen an LE with power windows, but I can't confirm it. I'm also positive that they are probably about a dozen or so of these at the junkyards and wreckers here in LA as there are many of them. This is making the Tercel 4WD power window kit come closer to existence.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"