Post by WeirdAl »

just thought I'd share
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

:o ouchiez
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

yeah, this was about a year ago, wish I'd taken pictures... it landed right on my face and chest. Had nice bruises, lol. I laid there for probably a minute under the weight if it before I could gather myself and push it off - big fun!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

DOH! :blink: I always worry that I'll do something like that. Glad that you are ok. I make sure that I have a couple people helping me every time I drop a transmission now. At least we own cars with small light transmissions (relatively - compared to big old domestics). I'll be dropping my 6-speed to change the clutch in May. I bought a large jack with a good sized contact area with this job in mind. Now it's just a matter of balancing it on the jack. Doing a clutch on these cars is a bit of a pain in the ass I imagine. Gotta remove the front axles, the rear drive shaft, and the bellhousing to engine bolts. I'm used to rwds.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

What about pulling the engine out instead? I've changed Tercel engines with the tranny staying in place, I'd rather do that than fight with the tranny under the car.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

I like the idea of jacking up the front of the engine, I think that might do the trick. The biggest problem is it's just me... I'm a relatively big guy and have a couple floor jacks to help me, but I have large hands and forearms that hinder me a bit too on the tight spaces.

Not sure I want to pull the whole engine, although that'd make all the hard to reach bolts a lot easier. Have you pulled the engine and tranny on a 4wd tercel before? I'd think you'd have to drop it out the bottom....
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I've done the transmission a couple times. If you have an engine hoist, it might be less trouble to take the engine out. It might be better just becuase you're doing all the work under the hood rather than underneath the car.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

What area do you live in,mabey someone from this site can help.Remember,its ok to love your Tercel,but Love shoud'nt Hurt!
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

Thereminator wrote: What area do you live in,mabey someone from this site can help.Remember,its ok to love your Tercel,but Love shoud'nt Hurt!
Raleigh, NC area
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah,I live in San Diego,So that doesnt help.Hopefuly,as this site grows someone will "pop-up" in your area and you can have a "Trans-Axle Party"! :) The "West-Coast-WeirdAL"
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>