4A update

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've done that one. Once you do it...you tend to watch those torque numbers REAL CLOSE LIKE....... ;)

The worst is to get inch pounds confused with foot pounds & vice versa.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

*UPDATE*

I finally got the motor pulled today, and I have been spending the rest of the time cleaning the oil sludge (rust proofer) off. It's over 1/8th of an inch thick. :ph34r: I did make a few discoveries along the way, too. The oil pan from the tercel MUST be used due to a clearance issue, the 4alc pan will not fit since it would be hitting the steering and crossmembers. Also when purchasing a water pump, get the one for the tercel, since you will have to use your old pulley and the 4alc's pump will not line up. You will need to use all your old pulley's since on the 4alc, the pulley that runs from the water pump, to the motor, and the alternator is much wider than the tercel's. It also helps to have some spare bolts lying around since some of the brackets are held on by a nut with the post set in the block, and the 4a just has the bolt hole.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

arbskynxnex wrote: Well I just learned that it helps to be able to read in a straight line...
I read the wrong torque numbers it was supposed to be 40-47ft lbs instead of 87. Is my face red and my pocket book empty. I don't think the bolts were as fatigued as I thought.
Yeah, but before it sheared, they *really* wouldn't have come undone :)
At all.
Ever.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"