4A update

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

We just had our race car mechanic friend take some measurements on the 4A today and its good news. All I need to do is slap in some pistons, rings, and bearings, and new gaskets and I'm good to go. The motor I bought was supposed to have 250,000 miles on it, but its closer to 60,000 (not a typo). It looks like I may be able to pull this off for under $700 total.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Thanks for keeping us updated!
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Have fun!

The 4a is a direct bolt in block replacement for the 3a. It is only if you get into the 4ag engines where space and routing becomes an issue.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

My only concern with the project is the flywheel. Just from looking at the manuals (which doesn't tell me much) the flywheel on the 4A looks thicker than the 3A. But I will cross that bridge when I see the one on the 3A and compare.
I thought long and hard about the 4ag, but when I saw how much a carb and manifold were, I just about died.
Jarred (that bright green

Post by Jarred (that bright green »

the 3A fly wheel should bolt onto the 4A not a prob, just get it machined and balance before you put it in and check the condition of your clutch, you don't want to replace it again in 12 months.
TnTech

Post by TnTech »

What considerations would I have to face when swapping an '85 Tercel 3A-C 4WD with an '86 Corolla 4A-LC FWD engine?

<a href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW' target='_blank'>Toyota Reman Engine 4ALC</a> Current price is $315.

Since it doesn't show the engine, I would guess it's only the block and head. Will all the other engine parts from the 3A-C be compatible?

I have found a Japanese 3A-C engine for $455. But was considering an increase to 4A.

<a href='http://www.enginewholesalers.com/tercel.html' target='_blank'>Engine Wholesalers</a>

Thank you for your help.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

The 4al is a whole other beast. I believe it was never placed in a rwd situation, therefore it is a whole lot different, as far as location of components, height and length, etc. It was made to be mounted sideways. I am not sure of the specifics, it had been discussed on this forum before, and always with negative swapping comments.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Fingers: Are you sure you don't mean the 4a-f? I know its, longer and the distributor is mounted funny (in my opinion), but from all the checking I've done the 4a-lc is the same as the 4a. Anyways, thanks for peeing in my Wheaties. :P

InTech: So far I've found that the distributor and the intake and exhaust manifolds are the same. BUT, I would look at a junkyard and either compare or pickup the parts you need before buying one.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The only differences I know that the 4A-LC's have is the timing belt cover and the fact that it was used in the AE82 Corolla FWD sedan and had around 12 more horsepower than the 3A-C and 4 more horsepower than the 4A-C. Need to check on the horsepower, but I'm positive the HP readings are correct. :blink:
Jarred (that bright green

Post by Jarred (that bright green »

TnTech wrote: What considerations would I have to face when swapping an '85 Tercel 3A-C 4WD with an '86 Corolla 4A-LC FWD engine?

<a href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW' target='_blank'>Toyota Reman Engine 4ALC</a> Current price is $315.

Since it doesn't show the engine, I would guess it's only the block and head. Will all the other engine parts from the 3A-C be compatible?

I have found a Japanese 3A-C engine for $455. But was considering an increase to 4A.

<a href='http://www.enginewholesalers.com/tercel.html' target='_blank'>Engine Wholesalers</a>

Thank you for your help.
all you need is block and head really (short engine). Everything else goes from 3a-4a real easy (mounts, water pump, sump etc etc).unsure about exhaust manifold, but I am 95% sure.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The L in 4A-LC means transverse mounted as far as I know. That would only refer to things that are different between a FWD and RWD setup, like the water lines and the engine mounts. Anything like that can probably be used from the 3A-C since the head is the same and most of the block casting features are the same.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Another update: 8-4-04

Just got the pistons pressed on, which was rather impressive. The guy doing it looks at the pistons, says "I have the tool around here somewhere," then grabs an aluminum dowel, machines and drills it in about 10 minutes, so it'll fit on the piston. He finishes it up with, "ah there it is." We pressed them on and I took the pistons home and ringed them.
Anyways, that was the happy part of the update. I was torquing the bolts for the crankshaft bearings progressing merrily when out of the clear blue disaster struck. One of the bolts torqued to 80ft-lbs out of the 87 that I needed when, wammo, it snapped like a 90yr old's hip. And to make it just that much sweeter I pulled the bolt out and it was two threads too far to get vise grips on. ARGH. I think it would be a wise idea to replace all those bolts now.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Yikes!!! Shouldn't we all replace the bolts on cars now?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Reminds me of what I mentioned before about design limits and metal fatigue...but then I know just about everuthing I guess...... :rolleyes:

Not really slowing me down much though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Well I just learned that it helps to be able to read in a straight line...
I read the wrong torque numbers it was supposed to be 40-47ft lbs instead of 87. Is my face red and my pocket book empty. I don't think the bolts were as fatigued as I thought.