Brake Check

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

A co-worker and I were on our way back from a delivery, when I checked my mirrors and there was a guy right on my butt. He was probably 4 or 5 feet from the rear of my truck. I was going 55 mph in a 50, so I tapped (slammed as hard as I could) the brakes, dropped to 40 and flipped him the bird. Needless to say he freaked (got pissed) and then made an illegal pass on a double yellow line on a blind corner. He was so busy glaring at us that I don't think he noticed the oncoming traffic until he was in front of us and back in the correct lane. He did scare three of those cars off of the road though. Being in the hurry that he was he took the time to slow to 35 and shake his fist at us. My co-worker and I being a five minutes to slow to translate that into "I want to fight" just waved, he did look like he was going to have a brain hemorrage when we did that too.

Morale of this story: Tailgaters suck.

Now so I'm not completely off topic...
My 4A project is coming along nicely, we have the motor all torn down and soaking in solvent, the key is time. It wasn't as hard as I thought, it is critical to label parts though. I am taking the head to a machine shop to get it and the valves ground. Apparently I got a good deal on the motor, our mechanic friend took a look at it and I found out that it had a lot fewer than 200k miles on it and that everything looked in real good shape. The project did get set back $100 because the alternator in the tercel took a big fat dump when I was out driving. And the saga continues.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

I've got to say it... Wouldn't it have been better to just let them pass? You could have been killed trying this, or have other drivers on the other side of the road killed.

I hate tailgaters too. My primary mode of transport is a motorcycle, and I encounter tailgaters ALL the time. Yes, it's annoying, but better to not have an incident. So they want to pass, no big deal, let them pass. They will just beat you to the red light anyways.

While driving my car, and having a tailgater, I've found two things to be effective in pissing them off more. Adjust you mirror so it's clear to the other driver that you can't see them. Also, when they finally drive past to flip you off, instead of giving them the middle finger, give them the shocker, or even better, use your two fingers and make the "eating snatch" gesture. It's always hilarious to see the reaction.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I let him pass, I slowed down to let him around quickly. I've seen a few people pass like he did, and come real close to wiping out the car in the other lane (me), so I do what I can to avoid that. I don't have a problem with tailgaters if they are getting ready to pass, but the ones over here rarely do. I've been passed by less then 10, the rest just stay glued to you for whatever reason.

Yeah, pretending like you don't see them works great.

I also like slowing to about 20mph until they get the hint, then I resume speed and if they get too close again, I slow down again. I always find it funny that when they are in such a hurry that if they pass you, they always find the time to try the same treatment.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

What about those people who honk at you when you're going to make a left turn and there's incoming traffic on the other lane? My dad always hated it when they did it and when he did get a chance to turn, he quickly spun out his tires. Well at least he used to do it with the Tercel. Then there are those people who get annoyed when you're going slow (maybe not that slow) and then go in the parking lane and nearly miss a parked car if driving in a two lane. Also, those people who want to pass you when you are on a single lane and someone in front of you is going to make a left turn and then you get to accelerate and then the driver who want's to pass you nearly misses a parked car if there is one. WELL these are just some of some instances when people get pissed when they're in a hurry. Can't blame them too much, just when the time comes (errrrhh, boom, metal clashing) then maybe they learn their lesson. That's just my idea.

* Please keep us updated on your 4A-LC project, ok? *
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

now when i encounter a tailgater i drive off the road a little (when i can)...works every time! havent encountered one yet that likes rocks and crap hitting their ride. thats in the county where the side of the road is dirt and a ditch, but on the highway i just continue to do my speed unless they flash there lights at me and that erks me , i slow down to the speed limit, especially when im already going almost 20 miles over the speed limit and they flash thier lights....i aint turning unless its clear no matter what.....i gassed it one time long ago and the ac was on and didnt quit give it enough gas before popping the clutch and the car stalled. ...ALMOST a disaster..like i said if the road aint clear enough for me to turn safely without gassing it i aint turning. and look both ways after you get the green light. people love to run red lights around here.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

tercel4wdrules wrote: * Please keep us updated on your 4A-LC project, ok? *
Will do. I'm working on a write up for it that will be a classic piece of Americana, a young man's struggle to overcome insurmountable odds, defeat an unspeakable evil, and get the girl. ;)

People that pass on the left while I'm making a left hand turn scare the doodoo out of me.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I've always wanted to inject some oil into the exhaust. Nobody will tailgate if they are in a huge cloud of oily smoke. :D
Sorry, my old car does that sometimes. :lol:
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

arbskynxnex wrote: Will do.  I'm working on a write up for it that will be a classic piece of Americana, a young man's struggle to overcome insurmountable odds, defeat an unspeakable evil, and get the girl. ;)
Hey that sounds like a story that you can publish. Name it "The Never Ending Story of a 4A-LC and the 87 Tercel 4WD." B) :lol:. Kinda of sounds like how my clutch, engine, etc... replacement will come out. Dang it... just have to sell those computers to make $$$. Don't worry I have more than one computer so'll still be able to post my wonderful results. A drivable car finally! I always like to hear classic Tercel 4WD stories and I'm sure your project will be lots of fun.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

aha! if me n my friend are out driving our cars side by side n we get tailgaters, we both slow down....way down....like 20 in a 50....n he has no where to go cuz its a 2 lane road with cement things on the side....n when they honk at ya you honk back or just hold down the horn!!!

Or if i'm by myself, n i'm doing 5 - 10 over, i let em pass n then lay down the horn :P
T Pie

Post by T Pie »

It's a good thing you don't live here in GA. If you just touch the brakes to make the stoplights come on, not even slowing down, the cops can wright YOU a ticket. How do they keep thinking up these things, and who keeps voting for these idiots?
DaveG1
Advanced Member

Post by DaveG1 »

Tailgators suck, but that dude going slow in the fast lane, that really bugs. Slow traffic keep right! ARRR!
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

T Pie wrote: It's a good thing you don't live here in GA. If you just touch the brakes to make the stoplights come on, not even slowing down, the cops can wright YOU a ticket. How do they keep thinking up these things, and who keeps voting for these idiots?
I like the law here in Wa, if someone rear-ends you it is automatically their fault. The only thing that really sucks is if you are stopped at a light and someone hits you and you hit the person in front, it is a seperate accident and it is your fault for hitting them, its really convenient for the insurance cartels over here.