tercel hatchback to 4wd conversion

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Jason_The_Angry

Post by Jason_The_Angry »

greetings all, just saw your site on tercelonline, thought i'd drop by. i'm considering doing a "rally"conversion to an 87 tercel hatchback. would it be possible to yank and modify the drivetrain from a wrecked 4wd wagon and install on the tercel? i figured that the reduced weight of the vehicle combined with the larger engine would be a blast to drive. i'm also thinking KC dayliters, roof rack spare tire mount, 5pt safety harnesses, etc etc. anyways, was just wondering if anyone has even heard of something like this and would know if it's even possible. thanks again for your time...

jason
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

not sure if it's possible, never seen it done before. Maybe someone else has ;)
warpdwhim

Post by warpdwhim »

Anything is possible with enough time and money...into an 87 hatch...not too likely I'm afraid....TOTALLY different car....
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

well, modifying the drivetrain from a 4wd is a ton of work! But if someone can install a turbo on a 3AC engine i think almost anything is possible :) And if it isn't possible, at least you tried the impossible :lol:
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

If you want to build a low budget Toyota rally car, you'd be best off starting with an AE95 Corolla AWD Sedan. These vehicles have a much stronger drive train, and are still solid rear axle I believe. They come with a 4afe which can be replaced with a 7age hybrid or a 4agze (supercharged), 4agte (turbo) etc. There is a fellow on one of the canadian old school toyota forums who has created one successfuly. Post here if you would like more information.

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Jason_The_Angry

thanks for the input. really, i'm looking for the cheapest awd/4wd coupe/hatchback that any maufacturer makes. i just wanted something to thrash around in that didn't require a huge initial investment. if i couldn't find a coupe/hatchback, i'd settle for a small wagon... think a colt, or a dodge raider. anyways, if anyone happens to have any ideas, i'd really appreciate it. thanks

jason
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Cool, hope your find something that will work for you.

icE: A 3AC turbo is not as difficult as you think. There are people out there trying to get more power out of the 4AC engine that comes in the AE86 Corolla SR5. I know there are a couple of people that have successfully turboed the engine. Note that the 4AC top end is basically identical to the 3AC top end. Thus what works on the 4AC engine will work on the 3AC engine. A low boost blow-through design will work on a stock carburator. The tough part is the turbo header. I believe there are a few places out there offering turbo kits and/or headers for the 4AC. I wouldn't exceed 6psi on the 3AC. But that would be good for probably 110hp+ with nice torque (if a smallish turbo is used).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
aznflick

Post by aznflick »

Does anyone would it be easier if it was done with a 83 tercel hatchback , The reason why i would think this is because they uses almost same engine and design is very similar
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I like how this fellow says it:

"Sure, its possible, if you have a complete 4WD wagon drivetrain, engine, transmission, fuel system, wiring harness with ECU, and a cutting torch (a plasma cutter works better) and welder along with enough scrap metal to fabricate engine mounts, transmission mounts, suspension mounts and all of the other parts you'll need to do the conversion along with modifying the stock wagon drivetrain to fit the shorter, smaller chassis. Don't forget about cutting and redesigning the body to fit a rear driveshaft and the entire rear end to fit the solid rear axle. Also figure in many long weeks of problem solving and troubleshooting, and then the labor actually putting stuff on and all that. I'd say you are looking at spending at least a few hundred in materials and tools depending on what you already have to work with, and it will take you a good month or two to make a plan for the conversion and implement it unless you have lots of engineering or design & fabrication experience, or no job so you can spend all day every day working on it. If you don't have the tools or if you go to school or have a job and can only work on it a little each day, theres no telling how much work it'll be or how long it would take. If you were going to just pay someone else to do the work, you'd be looking at a minimum of a few thousand dollars for labor, parts, and materials.

Of course, you could also just buy a used, running, 4WD wagon for a few hundred dollars."

Courtesy of 'AnimeRacing' from TercelOnline.

:lol: :lol:

I agree with him. But, where there is a will, there is a way. ;)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Jason_The_Angry

well then, i guess the only option is to buy a better car. :D ahh well, i was hoping that some drivetrian components matched up. guess i'll just have to work with what i have. (a sad state of affairs, i can assure you).
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

An 83-86 hatchback is easier because the engine mounting is the same as the wagon and the 4WD transmission will fit. Someone has done this already. He kept the independent rear suspension and used a Mazda rx7 differential. He has a turbocharged 20 valve 4A-GE in it. There's pictures of the engine installation here, <a href='http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel ... 32&.view=t' target='_blank'>http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel ... .view=t</a>

I will ask him if he's got any pictures of the rear end and if he can help you out. He probably will, he's helped me alot with my 20 valve plans. This guy really, really knows his stuff.
aznflick

Post by aznflick »

that guy is the tercel hatchback guru.
Im lucky to have a messed up generation tercel. Its the only car so far that i know is placed longitude and can do a engine swap to 4age with an ease and same goes with the 4wd and rwd installation.
Please give me more info ASAP I got to do know more before may im wanting to join a drift competition in jun 19 so im short in time to do this mod and research the pricing for parts over here in canada. Also i dont want to spend money on another car, just the time.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

What information do you need? On the rear wheel drive conversion? I asked the 20 Valve Tercel guy if he could visit this board and help you guys out. You will need to do lots of work to the body to get the rear differential in and well supported. People have had rear diffs tear out of the body because the mounting wasn't strong enough. You will need different rear hubs to run the driveshafts to the rear wheels. It may be easier to weld in the entire rear crossmember from a rear wheel drive car with independent rear suspension.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

3A-C Power wrote: An 83-86 hatchback is easier because the engine mounting is the same as the wagon and the 4WD transmission will fit. Someone has done this already. He kept the independent rear suspension and used a Mazda rx7 differential. He has a turbocharged 20 valve 4A-GE in it. There's pictures of the engine installation here, <a href='http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel ... 32&.view=t' target='_blank'>http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel ... .view=t</a>

I will ask him if he's got any pictures of the rear end and if he can help you out. He probably will, he's helped me alot with my 20 valve plans. This guy really, really knows his stuff.
Wow, I never thought I'd see that! :D
Do you happen to know how he got the exhaust and steering to fit in there?
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

I would love to learn how to make it rwd. my goal is to have a drift car that doesnt cost too much.