tercel hatchback to 4wd conversion

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Guest_20vtercel

Post by Guest_20vtercel »

3A-C Power wrote: What information do you need? On the rear wheel drive conversion? I asked the 20 Valve Tercel guy if he could visit this board and help you guys out... You will need different rear hubs to run the driveshafts to the rear wheels. It may be easier to weld in the entire rear crossmember from a rear wheel drive car with independent rear suspension.
Yo sup? Who has questions??? What you wanna know?
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

Lets try that again......

I am the guy 3A-C Power Was referring to...

Who has questions? What would you like to know?
You will need different rear hubs to run the driveshafts to the rear wheels. It may be easier to weld in the entire rear crossmember from a rear wheel drive car with independent rear suspension.
Most cars that are RWD do not have x-members and just use sway bars and link adjusters. I made my own control arms using some steel tube and grade 8 threaded rod. Fully adjustable. You do not have to use the IRS. It is more difficult to make work as a lot of fabrication will be needed. You can use the rear end out of a AE86 or '83 RX-7 GSL-SE as they are direct bolt in. You'll have to re-route some break lines and use the different break pressure block to allow the rear discs to get the correct actuation pressure as disc breaks take ALOT more pressure to actuate than drums!!! There are many other parts from other cars that can bolt on to create an awesome machine. B)

Gasoline Fumes: The exhaust is "under axle" design. I have the downpipe going between the break booster and the clutch cable. It runs along the driveshaft and splits and goes under each side of the pumpkin and around the spare tire and out. There are no changes in steering.

To the Guest who posted about RWD. This will be even easier as you will have more room to run the exhaust over to the factory side. If you want a real drift car, you can put a 4.3L V6 out of a Chevy S-10 2wd with the AE86 Rear. Stock form is 190hp and 200ftlbs of tourque. You'll be going no where fast all the way into 5th gear. You can actually also use a Transam WS6 tranny on that to make it 6spd!! Yes, I know first had it fits. I was 80% complete untill I changed my mind due to a 20v dropping in my lap!!!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!