Gas needle showing below empty all the time.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Gas needle showing below empty all the time.

Post by dcn »

Friends and I rented an Expedition this weekend for a road trip, (Review: it's a gas guzzling, crappily interiored, roomy truck that's fun if 5 people are chipping in gas money), and I left the Tercel in my Dad's capable hands because the driver's door trim was coming un-stuck. When we came back and I picked it up at my parents house, I noticed the gas was on E. The light wasn't on though, and a fill up didn't budge the needle.

I read on here it's the sending unit quitting that causes this, how hard are they to replace? The tank doesn't have to come oot does it?

DA
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

It's about $100-$150 to replace, and yes, the tank has to come out to do it.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Shite. All I need to do is get the part and we can do it, since it appears the part is in the tank. We might already have one, at least I hope we do.

Does the fact that the low fuel light still works mean there's some built in backup system? Did they do that on purpose? Kinda cool if so.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Is there a reason why the tank has to come out to do it? I seem to have access to my sending unit just by pulling the carpeting (and spare tire) out of the back.
I would also recommend that you check the electrical connections at the top of the sending unit as something may have wiggled loose or become corroded. I was able to do this pretty easily, didn't fix my issue though.
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

I too had heard you can get to the sending unit from under the carpet and I had heard it on this site, no time to look up the post but it is here.

Another thing to try would be to buy some Techron and see if it is the float sticking and the techron may stop the float from sticking. I has done wonders with my Pathfinder's fuel gauge.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Try running acetone in the tank in recommended proportions. Its helped my guages accuracy a few times. Unless is just dead.
In that case...
To access the sending unit, pull up the carpet from the rear cargo area. To the right (facing forward) of the spare should be a thing covered with a black rubber strip with a wire coming out of it. GENTLY pull up the rubber protector, and you will see I believe it was 3 screws retaining a plate. Remove these and you will see further down to 3 or 4 more screws. Pull these. Now VERY VERY GENTLY wiggle the unit until it comes loose. Now pull it GENTLY AND SLOWLY upwards until you feel some resistance. This will be the float device. Look at the unit to see which direction it faces. REMEMBER THIS! Now, manuever it until you are able to free it. You are now holding one fuel level sending unit in your hand.

I've done this operation about 8 times. Transferring senders from one car to another. No sender I could find worked better than the other (shrug). A new one would likely be great though.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew