Another way to lift a tercel......

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
likintercssofar

Another way to lift a tercel......

Post by likintercssofar »

While cruising the local dumping grounds a friend and I came upon a 91-94 celica that had been dumped(?). The interior had been stripped along with all the major engine pieces. The suspension was still intact. So we took the strut assemblies thinking they might work on my tercel. Wrong. They were about 1" shorter with bigger lower mounts. I really wanted the coils from the celica strut on my tercel. So we got to thinking and measuring. We decided to cut the lower spring perch off the tercel strut, then cut the celica strut 1" above and 1" below the lower spring perch. With a little grinding.....the celica perch slid right over tercel strut. With measurements from earlier, we measured for 1" of lift and welded everything together. So not only did we get a solid inch to inch and a half lift, we got to use the higher spring rate coils from the celica. Offroad, there's no comparison. Absolutley NO bottoming out, even after jumping the car. Only took about 2-3 hours to complete. Thanks go to Mike Smith for use of his garage and welder.
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

You will be morally remiss if you do not post pics.
likintercssofar

I've tried putting pics on here before, but I can't figure out how. Some help would be nice. We didn't take any pics during the process, but I do have some before and after.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Try http://www.photobucket.com.
Even I, the KluelessKomputerKlutz, was able to do it. The directions are not complicated. I resized my photos to 520x390 whatzits prior to loading them to photobucket, and that seems to be a comfortable screen size (terms?).
I'm sure there are similar places out there, but photobucket is the only one I've tried - it's simple (yaahhh!).
Tom M.
EDIT:
I copied this from the "Newbie Notes and FAQs" Sticky in "General"...
2. How do I post Pictures in a thread?
- First, you need to have your pictures available on the internet. The easiest most common way of doing this is to use a picture hosting website such as http://photobucket.com/. Once your image has been loaded on a site, simply right click on the photo you want to be displayed and select 'Properties'. In IE, this will bring up a window with info on the photo. Copy the URL following 'Address'. Then, in your new post in the forum, click the 'IMG' button. Paste the URL address of your picture into the window that is displayed and click 'OK'. Your picture should appear when you complete your new post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
likintercssofar

lets try this.........Image
likintercssofar

likintercssofar

likintercssofar

likintercssofar

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You need to do 2 things... 1) Make the pics bigger. Its hard for my 17-year-old eyes to see. 2) put multiple pictures in a SINGLE post. You don't need 3 posts for 3 pics or soon.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Yeah, you posted the thumbnails. :)