Outfitting the Tercel 4WD for camping....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I like camping. :huh:
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

GTSSportCoupe wrote:takza:  Those are a few of the reasons I'm glad I don't live in the US.  Not that I have anything to hide; I just don't like the idea of people 'watching' me and what I do.  Luckily Canadian government doesn't have enough money to employ as many 'watching' tactics as the US government.  It think we're less paranoid and more laid back here too.  Just my thoughts...
Can't prove it, but seriously suspect that there are more people, cameras, computers, and ?? watching you and every other Canadian than you think.

You need to hone your powers of observation?

"Paranoia" or "paranoid" is a term that is considered a put-down in many circles.......but these circles are made up of those who are simply unaware of a lot of what is going on around them? So they reject those who are aware.

They beleive that they don't have anything to hide. Naturists or fools?

To me it isn't a matter of having or not having anything to hide....it's an issue of those who are doing the spying...the real onus is on them. IMO...they have become the criminals.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

i like pie!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Beer is our friend. :blink:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

A good water container:

<a href='http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... n=40003472' target='_blank'>http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... 0003472</a>

Now if they were made in around 5 gallon size...military surplus?

Also...if you try to stay in one place too long you DON'T want to run your starting battery down...solution...put a small 12V car battery where the back seat was along with a HD battery switch...run some 10 gauge (?) wires up to the regular battery...switch it on when driving...off when parked...run everything from this battery...radio...water pump...inflatable friends....

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

:blink: So your talk'in bowt some kinda switched Relay circuit from your main Bat. to say,a smaller one in back? Must have been~done before,Mebe Nick could shed some electrons on the matter,sounds do~able.I havent done those over~head plexi~shelves yet,Ill try to let you know when I do.Those "Reliance"(Aqua~Taner,4-7 Gal) water containers,found in most sport stores,seem well~desined.There cubic shape would make them more stable in a freestanding condition,say passenger foot~area? The only thing Im not shure~about is that there made in Canada...Those wiley Canadian's with there Freeweel'in,all~night Jam~bor~ree'in,Hill/Circus~Folk hav'in...ways...when do they have time to make water containers? :D
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

:lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAH!!!!!! :P
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've used a 2 battery setup before. Just saw a 12 foot cheapo set of battery booster cables ($6) that along with a battery duty switch would work fine. Just have to be careful when you run the extra battery down too much and throw the switch...that you don't overheat the wires as it charges up.

Think I have one of those Reliance ones...square bottom and fits real well on the pass floor in front. Have used it for a good while.

The idea with the flexible containers is that you could build a plywood box of the right size to put it in...that way the water is out of the way under the seat or in the spare tire well. You'd jsut want to support it so the seams weren't stressed.

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah,I do like some of the advantages (fit)of useing a "blader" type container,have you seen any in a size 12-gal with good fill and exit fittings? I looked around yesterday and with a custom stand,theres definatly enuff room for a battery,but it would have to be permanant,solid wireing for me.Ive been looking at 12-volt coolers and I saw one yesterday that had a remote re~chargable bat.(4-hr.Max),auto low~bat shut~off,Dig. read~out in a 20 liter size.I was impressed but the companys normal line~up(Vector~China) of smaller coolers,seemed to lack quality...and so it~go's :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You can buy an automatic battery switch to use with 2 batteries, but manual is simpler. The 2-way wires from the inexpensive jumper cables would automatically limit the amount of current that goes to the "camping" battery when you start up and then throw the switch? The old VWs had batteries under the back seat and this was before the newer sealed batteries.

Have actually used this simple setup with batteries about 4' apart with no problems. Wires got warm to the touch.

Have been interested in those coolers, but have never tried one...current draw might be too much when parked?

Try a desert cooler....uses evaporating water to cool...I just used an old ice cooler I managed to run over...with the top off and a wet towel over the top. This worked where the temps got cool at night..not so sure about subtropical desert. Could keep eggs for 3 weeks or so.

Another option is to use bead board (styrofoam) to superinsulate a cooler.

Consider a solar panel?

The flexible water-bladder is a good idea...but can't find any larger ones myself. Might find a poly container than would fit in the wheel well and could make your own top for it?

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

That "next~generation" cooler not only had its own self~recharging(4-hr) bat~sorce,it also had an auto shut~off switch incase the main power sorce(2nd~bat) became low,so its getting close to being practical.I'll probably go with the "auto" soliniod switch for the 2nd bat. There as inexpensive as $15 at your favorite store "Camper World" and J.C. has the high~dig model for $45.You can run the #8 pos~wire from the 2nd bat thru the rubber~gromet(under rear seat)
under the car and wire~it to the Pos. side of your starter soliniod.Then hardwire the in~line solinoid to your ignition~switch so the 2nd bat. is only on~line when the car is running(charging),when its off you only tap #2.I need to find~out more about possible "fumes" and deep~cycle Batterys. <_<
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

They make what I was thinking about...ONLY they make them a little on the large size:

<a href='http://www.interstateproducts.com/pillow_tanks.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.interstateproducts.com/pillow_tanks.htm</a>

The 100 G size would hold 800 lbs of water.

<a href='http://www.burchmfg.com/kolaps_a_tank/a ... _tank.html' target='_blank'>http://www.burchmfg.com/kolaps_a_tank/a ... nk.html</a>

73 gallons.......

OR...go to Walmart and buy a bunch of 1 G containers of drinking water. Could use them 1 at a time and then refill them. If one springs a leak...replace it.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I bought a 300W AC inverter today so that I could plug in my amplifier and play guitar outside. It actually worked which surprised me, and it got me thinking about what else it could be used for, and I thought of a bar fridge. That would be alot better than the 12 volt coolers which are semiconductor based and have bad efficiency and power compared to the vapor compression cycle used in a real fridge.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I saw a 350w-5amp solar panel at Fry's today(many inverters too) thats used for a 12vt auto Bat. You could play your guitar off sun~power AC.The most popular isolators are solid state,made by Shurpower and NOCO,and the lowest price was at Pep Boys,$29 and $15 for the install~kit that included an inline fuse,conectors and wire.Takza,you have the rare "Blader of the brain" condition! :o You need to go to the "beloved" Campers World and look at RV stuf tell your normal! :D Hurry!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

A good solar panel with some output isn't cheap...but even a 1/4 amp output would make a difference

I really dislike regular RVs.....that isn't camping, though it is comfortable. Kinda crazy to waste all that gas dragging around all that plastic fantastic crapola and then end up sitting in a campground comparing your own plastic-fastastic crap with other peoples plastic-fantastic crap.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orange'>I don't wanna be normal........ </span></span>:rolleyes:

The only problem with those compressor type coolers is that I think there is an issue with them needing to be level to work right.