Outfitting the Tercel 4WD for camping....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm kinda thinkin' that when you get down to Baja and a couple of surfer girls just happen to be walking by on that that beach (don't even ask how they got there)....wouldn't it be nice to be able to invite them into a BIG 8' X 9.5" palatial palace of a tent?

I would'nt put a lot of $ into that tent till you see if you like doing things that way.

My idea with it is...if you HAVE to pitch a tent, it might as well be one big enough to move around in...the $60 tent (Coleman bargain store special) I have allows standing up in it and moving around. The rain fly that came with it was a joke...so I put an 8'X10' tarp over the top. The sides get a little water in them during a rain, but that's due to not having it staked out right.

Down side with this tent is finding a large enough flat spot to put it up...especially while on the road to somewhere.

I'm going to use one of those low cots to sleep on to avoid the rocks & roots in the back issue.

Getting my roof rack made...the tent, cot, and a lawn chair will go on top...maybe my dog too. <_<
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Here's my Reasoning For Wanting a portable,off the ground set-up:
1.It's Hotter than HELL :angry: down there,so the only thing you want to do in the tent is sleep,even that may not require a tent,but I~no~like~bugs!AS far as the beautiful surfer-girls are conserned,thats what "Nature-Hikes" and shade from the Mighty~Yuca~tree are for!

2.The Law down there is more a matter of preventitive intelligence and on ocation, what you can "Drum-up",say in about 15-sec's!Weve Had some trouble before(only one incident)from wana-be Bandido's (Mom had to let the 22 rifle do the talking),So when im out in the water(probably 50% of the time) I want to quickly lock everything-up,not to mention,quick get-a-ways...if need be!
3.I have an explorer's disposition and curiosity so when I get the "Jimmy-Leg" :blink: and want to see whats over-the-hill... :unsure: ,Quick Take-Downs/Set-Up's,once again,come in handy.

4.I've run into share of Rattle snakes and Im looseing trust(or just getting lazy) in my uncanny ability to hear them before I step :o on them.As far as Scorpions go (little :unsure: Bastards!) I havent seen them...but I'll take my friends(or anybody's!) word that there crawling :unsure: around down there. B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

That's the way I usually camp...see a potential problem...move on...especially since I like to see new stuff anyway. Usually in a van.

Was going to ask about the bandito issue...been a long time since I was in Mexico and even then they didn't recommend just pulling off the road...which was the way I camped except in Mexico City.

You can't depend on those rattlers making any noise. Mostly got to watch places where they hide...don't reach under bushes.

You'll want to do it your way for sure...I just couldn't stand sleeping diagonally in the Tercel for very long.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Another solution to the camping problem?

Made by Honda....at least it had a Honda logo on it.