Earl... (oil)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Earl... (oil)

Post by Typrus »

On my 5 day trip to Arkansas, I went to the open house for Brian's Truck Shop and saw some pretty damn cool stuff.... Twin-turbo Powerstroke's... Things of that nature.. (If you have a Ford Diesel with either a R10D or 4R100 automatic transmission, look up BTS Transmissions... You won't be disappointed...)

As most of you likely don't give a crap about the truck stuff, I'll jump straight to the point.

There was a guy from Schaeffer's Oil there doing his bit. One of the most fascinating things was a Film-Strength Test of the various oils to see how much pressure is applied before the two metal surfaces make contact and wear. We filled the "crankcase" with Rotella synthetic, did the test, and were shocked to see how little pressure it took to make the surfaces wear. The chrome bearing had a massive groove in it. The guy then topped the "crank" off with Schaeffer's... Didn't drain any of the Rotella.. We then did the load test... COULD NOT GET THE DAMN THING TO CONTACT! In fact, the Molybdenum in the oil coated the harsh wear we had just made and polished it out. Now here is the shocker. The guy took the "crank" off, wiped the 2 surfaces off, then had us do it again. IT STILL WOULDN'T CONTACT! It took some Citrus-based solvent and a wire brush to clean the Shaeffer's off.
He told us a few stories about people who will run, get a low oil dummy light, drive for a little bit, then get out, check, and see their oilpan plug is missing and the crank is dry.... Yet the engine will be fine in a tear-down! Not only did the rep tell us this, but a guy from the group of truck enthusiasts said it did the same thing in his riding lawn mower. Said he went through 2 yard mowings before he discovered he had no oil. Yet it didn't seize.

This moly is put in all the engine oils and manual gearbox lubes. The only thing without it is the Auto-Trans Fluid, but that stuff is great anyway.

When I asked for numbers to compare to Amsoil, he said that Amsoil was a phenominal product, but it didn't have the Moly in it. Not only that, but Amsoil advertises EVERYWHERE and guess who pays for that advertising? Schaeffer's has 3 ad's in 3 trucker magazines.

He said Mobil 1 and the likes are good oil's, but for the price, there is ZERO comparison. Schaeffer's is cheaper, and seems to pack more punch.
Its been in the first 3 OTR Semi-tractors to break past 1 MILLION miles without a major overhaul. DAMN.

I'm going to try it in my tranny and engine when I get the $$$$$ and I'll let you all know how it goes.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Marty

purchase info

Post by Marty »

I have a ps and would be interested in adding this stuff and to my tercel :)

Puchase info? or do we go through brians?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The guys at....

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

...seem to like it a lot.

I've used moly additives with good results.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

niiiice, i would try some, just to see if i get better resultws than with castrol syntec
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Sounds interesting. I wonder if the Moly in the oil requires any special disposal methods. :)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!